Both Sony rx100 VI and Sony rx100 VII cameras have many standard features, but we found some advanced features available in Sony RX100 VII camera. So, we strongly suggest Sony rx100 VII camera for you.
Why We Suggest Sony RX100 VII?
- Sony rx100 VII camera has 357 points phase-detection Auto Focus and 425 points contrast-detection Auto Focus. Besides, Sony rx100 VI has only 315 points phase-detection AF and 25 points contrast-detection AF. So, Sony rx100 VII has better Auto Focus than its opponent, and this device will provide you with perfectly focused images every time.
- With Sony rx100 VII, you can take 260 frames, and With Sony rx100 VI, you can capture 240 photos. Therefore, Sony rx100 VII has a more powerful battery than the Sony rx100 VI camera.
- The optical zoom of Sony RX100 VII is 8x, whereas Sony rx100 VI’s optical zoom is 2.9x. Hence, Sony rx100 VII will enlarge the picture better and make sure the quality plus sharpness of the photos.
- This device has a microphone port (3.55 stereo mini-jack), which enables you to record high-quality audio. But, Sony RX100 VI doesn’t have this microphone port.
So, you can see that Sony rx100 VII is the new version camera with some upgraded features. Therefore, this camera will provide you better photographic experience than its opponent. That’s why we strongly recommend Sony rx100 VII. Otherwise, if you have any budget problems, you can go for Sony rx100 VI.
- Sony rx100 VI and Sony rx100 VII cameras have a 1.0-type Exmor RS CMOS sensor with 20.1 Megapixels. Therefore, they are capable of taking high-resolution photos and videos.
- They have a 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED) with 2.36 Million dots. Hence, you will have a detailed preview of the object with these devices before capturing it.
- These devices have an in-body image stabilization feature (the equivalent of 4.0-stops) which reduces camera shakings and enables you to take stabilized images.
- Both cameras can record 4K HDR (3840 x 2160) resolution videos with fantastic quality.
- They have a 7.5cm (3.0-type) LCD monitor with touch compatibility. Hence, you can operate and set functions with your fingers.
- The silent shooting mode is available in these cameras. So, you can take photos without making any unnecessary noise.
Comparison Chart: Sony RX100 VI vs VII
|Specification||Sony rx100 VI||Sony rx100 VII|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Auto Focus points||315 Points phase-detection AF and 25 contrast-detection AF||357 Points phase-detection AF and 425 contrast-detection AF|
|Battery life for still image||240 frames||260 frames|
|Microphone Port||No||Yes (3.5mm Stereo mini jack)|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||20.1 Megapixels||20.1 Megapixels|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||Approx. 301 grams||Approx. 302 grams|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||125-12800||100-12800|
|Viewfinder Type||0.39-type electronic viewfinder(OLED)||0.39-type electronic viewfinder(OLED)|
|Viewfinder resolution||2.36 Million dots||2.36 Million dots|
|Continuous Drive Speed||24 frames per second||20 frames per second|
|Image Stabilization||Yes ( Equivalent of a 4.0-stops)||Yes ( Equivalent of a 4.0-stops)|
|Silent Shooting mode||Yes||Yes|
|Video recording||4K HDR (3840 x 2160)||4K HDR (3840 x 2160)|
|LCD Touch panel||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty policy||Limited one-year||Limited one-year|
Similarities & Differences Between Sony RX100 VI and Sony RX100 VII
Weight and Size:
Sony rx100 VII weighs approximately 302 grams, and Sony rx100 VI weighs around 301 grams. The weights of these devices are measured, including body, battery, and SD card.
Besides, Sony rx100 VII’s dimension is 101.6 x 58.1 x 42.8 mm, plus Sony rx100 VI comes with 101.6×58.1×42.8 mm dimension. So there isn’t much difference in their weight and size, though both will provide you with an excellent comfortable handgrip and use.
Image Processor and Continuous Drive Speed:
Both Sony rx100 VI and Sony rx100 VII have BIONZ X image processing engines that provide fast performance. It will maintain the combination of colors and produce high-quality images.
Again, the continuous shooting speed of Sony rx100 VI is 24 frames per second, and Sony rx100 VII’s drive speed is 20 frames per second. Therefore, Sony rx100 VI has better continuous drive speed than the rx100 VII camera.
Moreover, these devices have an image stabilization feature (the equivalent of 4.0-stops) that enables you to take more sharp photos.
Image sensor and ISO:
Sony rx100 VI and Sony rx100 VII have a 1.0-type Exmor RS CMOS sensor with 20.1 Megapixels. Therefore, both cameras can record high 4K resolution videos and capture sharp images.
Besides, Sony rx100 VI’s ISO sensitivity range is 125-12800, and Sony rx100 VII’s range is 100-12800. So, both cameras can take crisp photos in low-light situations. Furthermore, this ISO sensitivity range also can be expanded.
LCD monitors and Viewfinder type:
These devices have a 7.5 CM ( 3.0-type) LCD monitor with a touch panel. Therefore, you can operate your camera with your fingers and manually adjust the menu bar. Again, they have a 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED) with 2.36 Million dots. Hence, these devices can provide you with a great preview of the object before capturing it.
Sony rx100 VII has some advanced features not available in the Sony rx100 VI camera. Therefore, we strongly recommend the Sony rx100 VII camera. Otherwise, you can go for the previous version (Sony rx100 VI) if you have a limited budget.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony RX100 VI and Sony RX100 VII
|Does Sony rx100 VII camera have a viewfinder? |
Yes, this device has a 0.39-type electronic viewfinder with 2.36 million dots. So, this camera will provide a detailed preview of the object.
What is the battery capacity of the Sony rx100 VII?
This camera has a rechargeable battery with DC3.6V. Therefore, with this device, you can take approximately 260 photos it.
Which one has better continuous drive speed between Sony rx100 VI and Sony rx100 VII?
Sony rx100 VI has 24 frames per second continuous drive speed, whereas Sony rx100 VII has 20 frames per second speed. Both cameras’ drive speed is enough for regular usage, but Sony rx100 VI would be better than the other one if you want for professional purposes.
What is the autofocus type of Sony rx100 VII?
This camera is formed with Fast Hybrid AF with 357 Points phase-detection AF and 425 points contrast-detection AF.
Is there any microphone port in rx100 VI?
No, this camera doesn’t have any microphone port. Yet, the upgraded version Sony rx100 VII has a microphone port (3.5mm Stereo mini jack).
You may read more about other camera comparisons below: