Both Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv are top-rated cameras in the market, but if you are looking for the best one between them, we strongly recommend the Sony a7riv for you.
Why do we recommend Sony a7riv Camera?
- Sony a7riv has Fast Hybrid Auto Focus with 759 points, whereas Sony a9ii comes with 693 Points. So, with the Sony a7riv camera, you capture better-focused photos than the Sony a9ii.
- This Hybrid camera has 33.0 Megapixels Full-frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor, which enables you to take sharp, high-resolution images. Another side, the Sony a9ii has only a 24.2 Megapixels sensor.
- Sony a7riv is formed with the new BIONZ XR image processing engine, and Sony a9ii has a BIONZ X processor. Here, Sony a7riv’s processor will provide you 8 x faster performance than its opponent camera.
- The Sony a7riv weighs 658 grams, whereas the Sony a9ii weighs 678 grams. So, you can hold and use the Sony a7riv camera more comfortably than its opponent as this camera has lightweight plus has perfect hand grips.
- This camera is more budget-friendly than the Sony a9ii, and it will save you from the extra expenditure.
So, you can see that the Sony a7riv has upgraded and better features than the Sony a9ii camera. Therefore, we strongly recommend the Sony a7riv camera for you.
Similar features of Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv cameras
- Both cameras are capable of taking detailed and low-noise photos in any challenging lighting conditions as their ISO range is 100-51200, and this sensitivity range can be expanded to 50-204800.
- They are formed with an FTP transfer facility. Hence, you can transfer multiple directories to the FTP server at once.
- They have an Optical 5-Axis image stabilization feature (In-body) with 5.5-Step compensation. Therefore, they can reduce blurriness from shakings and produce sharp images.
- Both devices have a 1.3 cm (0.5 types) electronic viewfinder with 3.67Million dots. Therefore, they provide full-frame coverage, and you can preview the perfect detailing.
- A one-year limited warranty is ensured with these cameras. Hence, you can have free repair services if you find manufacturer defects.
Sony a9ii vs a7riv Comparison Chart
|Specification||Sony a9ii||Sony a7riv|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Auto Focus points||693 Points||759 Points|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||24.2 megapixels (Approx.)||33.0 megapixels (Approx.)|
|Image Processor||BIONZ X||BIONZ XR|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||678 grams (Approx.)||658 gram (Approx.)|
|Continuous Drive Speed||20 frames per second||10 frames per second|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||100-51200 ( Expandable to 50-204800)||100-51200 ( Expandable to 50-204800)|
|Sensor Type||Full-Frame Stacked CMOS sensor with Integral Memory||Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor|
|Viewfinder Type||1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder||1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder|
|Image Stabilization||Optical 5-Axis ( 5.5-Step compensation)||Optical 5-Axis ( 5.5-Stop compensation)|
|Video recording||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)|
|LCD monitor||7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT||7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT|
|LCD resolution||1.44 Million Dots||1.04 Million Dots|
|Warranty policy||One-year limited||One-year Limited|
Certain features of the Sony a9ii that you can consider
- This camera comes with 20fps continuous drive speed, whereas the Sony a7riv has 10fps speed. So, the Sony a9ii can take better shots of any fast-moving objects than the Sony a7riv camera.
- Sony a9ii has the updated Full-Frame Stacked CMOS sensor with Integral Memory, but Sony a7riv is formed with the previous version Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor.
- This device has a 7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT LCD monitor with 1.44 Million dots, whereas Sony a7riv’s 7.5cm LCD has 1.04 Million dots. So, Sony a9ii’s LCD resolution is better than the other one, and you will have a better preview of the captured photos or recorded videos.
So, if you don’t have any budget limitations and want the features mentioned earlier, you can go for the Sony a9ii camera.
Features & Benefits of Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv
Weight and size
Sony a9ii weighs approximately 678 grams, and the Sony a7riv weighs 658 grams. Here, the weight is measured, including the battery and the memory card. Another side, Sony a9ii’s dimension is Approx. 128.9mm x 96.4mm x 77.5mm and Sony a7riv’s size is 131.3 mm x 96.4 mm x 79.8 mm. So, you can see that the Sony a7riv is lighter than the a9ii, and its bigger dimension will provide you with a comfortable handgrip.
Sony a7riv comes with 33.0 Megapixels Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor whereas Sony a9ii has 24.2 Megapixels Full-Frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory. Though Sony a9ii has an updated image sensor, Sony a7riv’s sensor has better effective pixels. Hence, the Sony a7riv will produce higher resolution photos and videos than the Sony a9ii camera. Furthermore, you can record 4k resolution videos with both of them.
ISO sensitivity range
Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv’s ISO sensitivity range is 100-51200, and you can increase this range to 50-204800. In addition, you can adjust this range following your needs. For example, you can lower the ISO range in high lighting situations (Sunny days) and expand the sensitivity when there isn’t sufficient light (in the afternoon).
Image processor and continuous drive speed
The camera’s overall performance depends on the Image processing engine. So, before buying a camera, you must focus on the processor. The Sony a9ii comes with a BIONZ X image processor, whereas the Sony a7riv is formed with the updated BOINZ XR processor. Therefore, the Sony a7riv will provide you with 8x faster performance than the other one. The continuous drive speed of the Sony a7riv is 10 frames per second, and the Sony a9ii’s shooting speed is 20fps. So, if you prefer to take photos of any fast-moving objects, then the Sony a9ii is recommended, but the Sony a7riv is perfect for regular use.
LCD Monitor and Battery performance
Both cameras have a 7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT LCD monitor, but they have a slight difference in their resolution as Sony a7riv’s LCD has 1.04 Million Dots, and Sony a9ii’s LCD has 1.44 Million dots. As the difference is meager, both cameras will provide you stunning preview of the object. Again, these cameras come with a powerful NP-FZ100 rechargeable battery, enabling you to take adequate photos and videos by charging the battery once.
So, you can see that the Sony a7riv has an upgraded image processor, better focus points, and most importantly, this device comes within your budget. Therefore, we strongly suggest the Sony a7riv camera for you. Otherwise, if you prefer a higher drive speed and updated sensor, you can go for the Sony a9ii.
Frequently asked questions about Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv Camera
What is the continuous drive speed of the Sony a9ii camera?
The constant drive speed of the Sony a9ii camera is 20 frames per second. So, with this device, you can take photos of any fast-moving things.
Between Sony a9ii and Sony a7riv, which one has better for high-resolution images?
Sony a9ii has effective 24.2 megapixels (Approx.) sensor, whereas the Sony a7riv has 33.0 megapixels. Therefore, the Sony a7riv has a bigger image sensor than the Sony a9ii, and this device will provide you with higher-resolution photos.
What is the ISO sensitivity range of the Sony a7riv camera? Is it worth it for low-lighting photography?
The ISO sensitivity range of The Sony a7riv camera is 100-51200, and if necessary, you can expand this range to 50-204800. So, for low-light photography, this camera is worthy.
What is the viewfinder type of Sony a9ii camera?
This device has a 1.3 cm (0.5 types) electronic viewfinder with 3.67Million, providing you a better preview of the object.
Is there any in-body image stabilization feature in the Sony a7riv camera?
Yes, this camera comes with a 5-axis image stabilization feature enabling you to take more sharp photos and videos.
You may have interest in these articles –