Sony a9 and Sony a7riv are fantastic mirrorless cameras. Still, if you prefer the best one, we recommend the Sony a7riv for you as this camera has some updated features that are not available in the other one.
Why did we suggest the Sony a7riv mirrorless camera?
- Sony a7riv comes with Fast Hybrid Autofocus having 759 focus points, whereas Sony a9’s AF has only 693 points. Therefore, Sony a7riv can focus on the object better than its opponent.
- This device comes with a 33.0-megapixel Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor, whereas the Sony a9 has only 24.2 Megapixels. So, if you prefer higher resolution photos and videos with accurate details, then the Sony a7riv would be better than the Sony a9.
- Sony a7riv is formed with a new BIONZ XR powerful image processing engine, whereas Sony a9 has the previous version BIONZ X processor. Hence, for updated image processors, the Sony a7riv will perform faster and better than its opponent Sony a9.
- This device has an optimal 5-axis image stabilization feature with 5.5-stop compensation, but the Sony a9 comes with 5-axis stabilization with 5.0-stop compensation. Therefore, the Sony a7riv provides you with better compensation than the Sony a9, and you can capture special moments without the fear of blurriness arising from camera shaking.
So, you can see that the Sony a7riv mirrorless camera can focus better and has a better image sensor and processor, plus you can take sharp photos by reducing blurriness. Now, if you want to have an excellent photographic experience, we strongly suggest The Sony a7riv for you. Otherwise, you can choose the Sony a9 if you prefer more drive speed and a stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory.
Similar features of Sony a9 and Sony a7riv:
- Both mirrorless cameras can take crisp images in any lighting conditions as their ISO sensitivity range is 100-51200 plus when needed; this range can be increased to 50-204800.
- They come with a powerful NP-FZ100 (2280mAh) rechargeable battery pack that enables you to shoot enough photos and record videos for more than 105 minutes.
- These devices support the FTP transfer feature. Hence, you can immediately deliver images and don’t need to stop shooting.
- Both cameras have a 1.3 cm (0.5 types) electronic viewfinder with 3.69 Million dots. Therefore, you will have a clear preview of the object before taking the snap.
- They are capable of recording 4K resolution videos.
- A one-year limited warranty assures that you can have a free repairing service or replacement if you face any manufacturer defect.
Sony a9 vs a7riv Comparison Chart
|Specification||Sony a9||Sony a7riv|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Auto Focus points||693 points||759 Points|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||24.2 Megapixels ( Approx.)||33.0 megapixels (Approx.)|
|Image Processor||BIONZ X||BIONZ XR|
|Image Stabilization||Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis ( 5.0-stop compensation)||Optical 5-Axis ( 5.5-Stop compensation)|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||588 gram (Approx.)||658 gram (Approx.)|
|Continuous Drive Speed||20 frames per second||10 frames per second|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||100-51200 ( Expandable to 50-204800)||100-51200 ( Expandable to 50-204800)|
|Supplied battery||NP-FZ100 (One rechargeable battery pack)||NP-FZ100 (One rechargeable battery pack)|
|Sensor Type||full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory||Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor|
|Viewfinder Type||1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder||1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder|
|Video recording||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)|
|LCD monitor||7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT||7.5 cm (3.0-type) type TFT|
|LCD resolution||1.44 Million dots||1.04 Million Dots|
|Warranty policy||One-year Limited||One-year Limited|
Features & Benefits of Sony a9 and Sony a7riv
Weight and dimension
Sony a9 camera weighs 588 grams (Approx.), and the Sony a7riv weighs 658 grams (Approx.). Besides, a9’s dimension is 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 63.0mm and Sony a7riv comes with 131.3 mm x 96.4 mm x 79.8 mm size. You may think that using the Sony a7riv will be difficult as it has 70 grams extra weight and a bigger dimension. But, trust us, the weight is perfectly distributed through the camera’s whole body, and you won’t feel heavy while using it.
Sony a7riv camera is made with 33.0 megapixels Full-Frame Back-illuminated CMOS sensor, and the Sony a9 has 24.2 Megapixels full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with integral memory. The Sony a7riv has a bigger image sensor than its opponent. So, we prefer the bigger image sensor for higher resolution, and we mean Sony a7riv camera.
ISO sensitivity range
Both devices are capable of capturing detailed photos in any challenging lighting condition, and you won’t need to worry about brightness. Both cameras’ ISO sensitivity range is 100-51200, plus if you see there is insufficient light, then you can expand this range to 50-204800. So, both cameras get full marks for the ISO sensitivity range section.
Before getting a camera, you must focus on the image processing engine as it adjusts the photos’ quality and minimizes processing latency. Here, the Sony a7riv comes with the updated BIONZ XR image processing engine that increases the processing speed up to 8 x. However, the Sony a9 has the previous version BIONZ X, which is good but cannot provide faster performance like the Sony a7riv.
Continuous drive speed
A camera’s continuous drive speed helps capture photos of any fast-moving object. Sony a9’s continuous drive speed is 20 frames per second, whereas Sony a7riv has only 10fps. Though the Sony a7riv has less drive speed, this device is perfectly capable of taking frames of any instant moments or moving things.
LCD and viewfinder
They have a 7.5cm (3.0-type) TFT display with touch compatibility. Moreover, you can tilt the LCD monitor at different angles while taking photos or recording videos. Besides, they have a 1.3 cm (0.5 types) electronic viewfinder with 3.69 million dots resolution, by which you can have a clear and detailed preview of the object before capturing it.
You can see that the Sony a7riv has updated and work-friendly features, which are not available in the Sony a9. Therefore, according to our suggestion, choosing the Sony a7riv would be the smart decision. Now, it’s up to you. Thanks for reading!
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a9 and Sony a7riv
Is the Sony a7riv camera’s auto-focus is good enough?
Yes, this camera has Fast Hybrid Autofocus and 759 focus points that enable you to focus on the object perfectly, even if the thing is moving.
Between Sony a7riv and Sony a9, which one has a better image sensor?
Sony a7riv has approximately 33.0 Megapixels, and the Sony a9 has only 24.2 megapixels. So, the Sony a7riv has a bigger image sensor than the other one.
What is the weight of the Sony a9 camera?
If you insert the battery and SD card, this mirrorless camera weighs 588 grams.
For image stabilization, which one would be better?
Sony a7riv has Optical 5-Axis image stabilization with 5.5-Stop compensation. Similarly, the Sony a9 has 5-axis stabilization, but it provides less compensation (5.0-stops) than the Sony a7riv camera. So, the Sony a7riv would be better than the Sony a9.
Can I take photos silently with the Sony a7riv camera?
Yes, this mirrorless camera has a silent shooting feature that mutes the sound of the shutter. Therefore, you can operate your camera silently.
Check out related articles here –