We have compared the Sony a7R IV and a7R III and found some advanced features that made the Sony a7R IV the best camera here.
Which Features Made Sony a7R IV Best?
- Sony a7R IV has 61.0 Megapixels Exmor R CMOS sensor, whereas Sony a7RIII has only 42.4 megapixels. So, with a bigger sensor, the a7R IV will provide you with high-resolution, properly detailed images and videos.
- This camera has 567 focus points, and a7III has 399 focus points. So, with a7R IV, you can focus accurately on any particular object better than another one.
- This camera has a UXGA OLED viewfinder with 5.76 million dots, and a7R III has a Quad-VGA OLED viewfinder with 3.86 million dots. So, with an upgraded viewfinder in a7R IV, you can perfectly track and capture images.
- Sony a7R IV has better battery power optimization than a7R III as you can capture 670 frames with this camera, whereas with Sony a7R III, you can capture only 650 frames.
So, you can see that Sony a7R IV has better effective pixels, focus points, robust battery optimization, and an upgraded viewfinder, which are not available in Sony a7R III. Therefore, after considering these features, we recommend you get the Sony a7R IV.
Certain Features of Sony a7R III that you can consider.
- This camera’s weight is 657 grams, and Sony a7R IV’s weight is 665 grams. So, this camera comes with eight grams more lightweight than the other one.
- With this camera, you can capture 76 compressed RAW or JPEG images in a continuous burst at ten fps, whereas with Canon a7R IV, you can capture only 68 frames at ten fps.
- You can record 115 minutes of videos with this camera, but with the Sony a7R IV, you can record 105 minutes of videos.
- While recording movies, you will get eight picture effect modes in this camera. But, with a7R IV, you will get seven effects.
If you prefer the features mentioned above, then you can go for SONY a7R III. But, you won’t have the improved features available in the Sony a7R IV camera.
Similar Features of Sony a7R III and Sony a7R IV
- Both cameras have an Exmor R CMOS sensor( 35mm Full Frame) and a BIONZ X image processor. These cameras provide sharp, detailed, low-noise, and high-resolution images and videos with this combination.
- These cameras have anti-dust and Noise reduction systems.
- You can use UHS-I and UHS-II cards with them, and these cards have fast read and write speed plus enough capacity for images and videos.
- There are two card slots in them. So, you can continuously capture images and record videos without worrying about storage.
- You can capture highly detailed and sharp images in low light as the ISO range of these cameras is 100-32000, and you can expand the ISO range to 102400.
- You can capture ten frames per second with these cameras.
- They have silent shooting mode and 5-axis Image stabilization. So, this camera can capture images by silencing shutter noise and sharp pictures without blurriness.
- Both cameras support NFC, and they have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatibility. So, you can transfer files faster and capture images remotely with your smart device.
- You will find a 7.5 cm LCD monitor with a touch panel. So, you can easily focus by touching or previewing your captured images in it.
- They have a 3.5 mm Stereo mini-jack port and a USB Type-C port.
- You will find one year warranty (Limited) with these cameras.
Sony a7R III vs a7R IV Quick Comparison
|Specifications||Sony a7R III||Sony a7R IV|
|Editor’s ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Weight||657 grams (Approx.)||665 grams (Approx.)|
|Dimension||126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm||128.9mm x 96.4mm x 77.5mm|
|Image Sensor aspect ratio||3:2||3:2|
|Effective pixels||42.4 megapixels (Approx.)||61.0 megapixels (Approx.)|
|Total Pixels||43.6 megapixels (Approx.)||62.5 megapixels (Approx.)|
|Expanded ISO range||102400||102400|
|Image sensor||Exmor R CMOS sensor ( 35mm Full Frame)||Exmor R CMOS sensor ( 35mm Full Frame)|
|Continuous Shooting Rate||Ten frames per Sec.||Ten frames per Sec.|
|Image processor||BIONZ X||BIONZ X|
|Picture effect ( Movie)||Eight Modes||Seven Modes|
|UHS-I and UHS-II compatibility||Yes||Yes|
|Focus Type||Fast Hybrid AF||Fast Hybrid AF|
|Focus Points||399 Points||567 Points|
|View finder Type||Quad-VGA OLED ( 1.3cm)||UXGA OLED ( 1.3cm)|
|Number of Dots( In viewfinder)||3.86 Millions||5.76 Millions|
|LCD Screen Size||7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT||7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT|
|Shutter Speed||1/250 sec.||1/250 sec.|
|Silent Shooting Mode||Yes||Yes|
|Image Stabilization||5-Axis IS||5-Axis IS|
|Video resolution||4K UHD||4K UHD|
|USB Type||USB Type-C||USB Type-C|
|Wi-Fi and Bluetooth||Supported||Supported|
|Headphone Terminal||3.5 mm Stereo mini-jack||3.5 mm Stereo mini-jack|
|Power Source||NP-FZ100 ( Rechargeable)||NP-FZ100 ( Rechargeable)|
|Battery Life ( Still Images)||650 Shots||670 Shots|
|Battery Life ( Video Recording )||115 Minutes||105 Minutes|
|Operating Temperatures||32 to 104 degrees F||32 to 104 degrees F|
|Warranty Period||Limited Warranty For One year||Limited Warranty For One year|
Feature & Benefits of Sony a7R III vs Sony a7R IV
Image sensor and Image stabilization
Canon a7R IV has the upgraded back-illuminated CMOS sensor (35mm full-frame) with 61.0 megapixels resolution, and Canon a7R III comes with only 42.4 megapixels. So, with Canon a7R IV, you can capture amazing high-resolution images and videos.
Besides extraordinary sensitivity and dynamic range, the anti-reflection coating in these cameras will provide you with realistic photos and videos. Furthermore, both cameras are capable of capturing sharper images and videos as they have 5-axis image stabilization.
Weight and Dimension
The weight of Canon a7R IV is 665 grams, and its dimension is 128.9mm x 96.4mm x 77.5mm. Besides, Canon a7R III’s weight is 657 grams, and its dimension is 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm. You can comfortably capture images and videos with these cameras as they have perfect hand grip and shape.
Image processor, video quality, and ISO range
Sony a7R III and Sony a7R IV have high-speed BIONZ X image processing engines. This engine enhances the sharpness of the photos plus reduces noise significantly.
Besides, the ISO ranges of these cameras are 100-32000, and manually you can expand the range to 102400. So, with a fast processor and high ISO range, you can capture high-quality images and videos with them. Moreover, both cameras can record natural and realistic 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution videos.
LCD monitor and viewfinder
With these cameras, you will find a 7.5 cm LCD (3.0-type) with TFT color. These monitors have 1.44 million dots, and they have a touch panel. These monitors will give you a great preview of the captured images, and you can manually adjust the brightness and focus with your fingers. Besides, these monitors are adjustable up by 107 degrees (approx.) and down by 41 degrees (approx.).
Furthermore, Sony a7R III has a 1.3cm Quad-VGA OLED viewfinder with 3.86 dots, and Sony a7R IV has a 1.3 cm UXGA OLED viewfinder with 5.76 million dots. So, while capturing images or recording videos, the Sony a7R IV will provide you with a better view of the objects as this camera has an upgraded viewfinder.
Both cameras have NP-FZ100 (rechargeable) batteries. But Sony a7R IV has better battery optimization as you can capture 670 shots on the LCD monitor and 530 photos in the viewfinder. But, you can capture fewer frames with the Sony a7R III, like 530 shots in the viewfinder and 650 shots in the LCD monitor.
But, while recording video, a7R III provides better service than the other one as you can record 115 minutes with it, and with the Sony a7R IV, you can record 105 minutes of videos. In addition, both cameras are capable of operating in different temperatures, like 32 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit.
The Sony Company initially ensures a one-year limited warranty with the cameras from the date of purchase. The company will repair or replace the product with new or refurbished products or parts; they only deal with hardware parts.
But, if you cause damages by misuse and remove or alter the serial number from the camera, you won’t be able to get the warranty service. We suggest you use the camera properly and keep the data before sending the camera for repair.
Both cameras have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compatibility plus a USB Type-C port. So, you can connect them with your smartphones, transfer files, and capture images remotely. Besides, they have a silent operation feature to capture pictures and videos without any shutter sound.
So, we hope you have a clear idea about Sony a7R III and a7R IV cameras. If you are looking for updated features like a bigger image sensor, viewfinder, and better battery optimization, then Sony a7R IV will be perfect.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7R III & a7R IV
|What type of autofocus used in a7R III?
This camera has a Fast Hybrid Autofocus with face and eye detection features. So, you can accurately focus on the object.
How many images can I capture with a7R IV?
This camera has an NP-FZ100 rechargeable battery, and you can capture approximately 670 frames with it.
How many card slots are available in a7R IV?
There are two card slots available in this camera, and you can use UHS-I and UHS-II cards in it.
Will I get any warranty with these cameras?
Yes, you will get one-year warranty security with these cameras, but the security comes with some conditions.
Is there any headphone terminal in Sony a7R IV camera?
Yes, this camera has a 3.5 mm Stereo mini jack terminal.
You may read some other camera comparisons below: