Sony a7ii and a7iii are top-rated cameras in the market, and we have compared the main features and found some upgraded features in Sony a7iii camera. Therefore, we recommend Sony a7iii camera for you.
Why We Recommend to Choose Sony a7iii?
- The ISO range of a7iii is 100-51200, and you can expand the range to 50-204800. On the other hand, Sony a7ii’s ISO range is 50-25600. Higher ISO will help you to capture high-resolution images with sharp details even if the light is low.
- Sony a7iii has an NP-FZ100 ( 2280 mAh) powerful rechargeable battery that enables you to capture 610 frames and record videos for 115 minutes. On the contrary, the Sony a7ii has an NP-FW50 (1020 mAh) battery that lets you shoot only 350 photos and record videos for 60 minutes.
- Both cameras have 5-axis image stabilization, but Sony a7iii has the updated IS compensation effects with 5 stops, whereas Sony a7ii has 4.5 stops IS.
- Sony a7iii’s viewfinder magnification is 0.78x, whereas Sony a7ii has 0.71x. So, a7iii camera will provide you better details and focus of the object than the other one.
- This device is formed with fast hybrid AF with 693 focus points, which helps focus on any particular object to shoot stunning photos. But Sony a7ii has only 117 focus points that can’t provide the quality like the other one.
- The continuous drive speed of Sony a7iii is 10 fps, and a7ii’s speed rate is only 5 fps. Therefore, with a7iii, you can perfectly capture any special moments or fast-moving objects better than the other one.
- Sony a7iii has a 3.0 inches LCD monitor with a touch panel, which lets you control and focus effortlessly. But, the Sony a7ii doesn’t have a touch panel.
- You can remotely operate the flash of Sony a7 iii. In contrast, the Sony a7ii doesn’t have this feature.
- This camera has two memory card slots plus supports UHS-I, USH-II memory cards, whereas the Sony a7ii has only one card slot and doesn’t support UHS-II cards.
Therefore, you can see that Sony a7iii camera is the updated version of the Sony a7ii, and this camera will provide you with unique features. So, for these features, you should go for Sony a7iii camera. Otherwise, you can choose Sony a7ii camera, but you won’t get these beautiful features.
Similar Features of Sony a7ii and Sony a7iii
- Sony a7ii has a 35mm Full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor, and a7iii has an Exmor R CMOS sensor. Both sensors have the same components that can provide you better picture quality with a satisfactory resolution.
- Both cameras have an anti-dust system, which cleans the camera’s sensors so that the camera can provide better performance every time.
- They support NFC; hence you can quickly transfer your files.
- You will get a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack terminal for mic and headphones as you can record audio.
- One- year limited warranty is ensured by the Sony Company.
Quick Comparison: Sony a7ii vs a7iii
|Specification||Sony a7ii||Sony a7iii|
|Editor’s rating||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Weight ( Including Battery and SD card)||556 grams||650 grams|
|Dimension||126.9 x 95.7 x 59.7 mm||126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm|
|Image Sensor Type||35 mm full-frame (35.8 x 23.9mm) Exmor CMOS sensor||35mm full-frame (35.6×23.8mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor|
|Number of Effective Pixels||24.3 Megapixels||24.2 Megapixels|
|Total Pixels||24.7 Megapixels||25.3 Megapixels|
|Memory card slot||1||2|
|Memory card compatibility||UHS-I||UHS-I and UHS-II|
|White Balance Settings||Yes||Yes|
|Image Processor||Bionz X||Bionz X|
|Image Stabilization||Yes ( 5-axis)||Yes ( 5-axis)|
|IS Compensation Effect||4.5 Stops||5 Stops|
|Focus Type||Fast Hybrid AF||Fast Hybrid AF|
|Focus points||117 points||693 points|
|ISO sensitivity Range ( still Images)||50-25600||100-51200|
|Expanded ISO range||NO||50-204800|
|Viewfinder Type||0.5″-type electronic viewfinder||0.5″-type electronic viewfinder|
|Viewfinder Resolution||2.36 Million dots||2.36 Million dots|
|Viewfinder Magnification||0.71x ( Approximately)||0.78x ( Approximately)|
|LCD monitor||3.0 Inches with TFT color||3.0 Inches with TFT color|
|LCD resolution||1.23 Million dots||0.92 Million dots|
|Shutter Speed||1/8000 to 30 sec||1/8000 to 30 sec|
|Silent Shooting Mode||Yes||Yes|
|Flash Type||Pre-flash TTL||Pre-flash TTL|
|Wireless Flash Control||No||Yes|
|Continuous Drive speed||5 fps||10 fps|
|Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connectivity||Yes||Yes|
|Mic and Headphone terminal||Yes ( 3.5mm stereo mini jack)||Yes ( 3.5mm stereo mini jack)|
|Supplied Battery||NP-FW50 ( Rechargeable) , 1020mAh||NP-FZ100 ( Rechargeable) , 2280mAh|
|Battery life for Still Images||Up to 350 frames||Up to 610 frames|
|Battery life recording||60 minutes||115 minutes|
|Warranty||Limited one year||Limited one year|
Similarities and Differences of Sony a7ii and Sony a7iii
Weight and Dimension:
The weight of the Sony a7ii is 556 grams (including battery, SD card), and its size is 126.9 x 95.7 x 59.7 mm. Another side, the Sony a7iii weighs 650 grams, and the dimension of this camera is 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm.
So, although the Sony a7iii has a more significant dimension and little heavyweight, it gives you a comfortable grip. Again, you can use two card slots with an a7iii camera, and this camera supports UHS-I and UHS-II cards for faster data transfer plus storage. But, A7ii has one card slot, and it supports only UHS-I cards.
Sony a7ii has 24.2 Megapixels Exmor CMOS, and a7iii has an Exmor R CMOS sensor. Besides, both cameras’ sensors are 35mm full-frame (35.8 x 23.9mm), plus they are capable of capturing quality images with high resolution and sharpness.
A higher ISO range helps you capture sharp images with great details, especially when the light is low. However, Sony a7ii’s ISO range is 50-25600, and this range can’t be increased. Another side, Sony a7iii range is 100-51200, and you can increase this range to 50-204800. Therefore, Sony a7iii helps you more to capture photos in low light situations than a7ii.
Image Processor and Continuous drive speed:
Both cameras have a Bionz X processor, which can reproduce textures and details of the photos. Again, this processor reduces the noise from the images and produces more natural components, more realistic images by maintaining colors.
The continuous drive speed of a7iii is 10 frames per second, whereas a7ii’s speed is only 5 fps. Hence, with a7iii, you can accurately capture sharp images of any fast-moving objects. Furthermore, both cameras have the capability of silent shooting by reducing shutter sound. Again, They have 5-axis image stabilization, which reduces camera shaking and provides you sharp images and videos.
Focus and Viewfinder:
These Devices have Fast hybrid Auto Focus, but the Sony a7iii comes with 693 focus points, whereas a7ii has only 117 points. Therefore, a7iii will provide you more accuracy than the other one while focusing on any subject. Again, both cameras have a 0.5″-type electronic viewfinder with 2.36 Million dots, but a7iii’s viewfinder magnification (0.78x) is better than a7ii (0.71x).
Sony a7ii camera comes with 3.0 inches LCD monitor with 1.23 Million dots resolution, and a7iii also has 3.0 inches LCD, but the resolution is 0.92 Million. Here, you may think a7ii has better LCD resolution than a7iii, but a7iii’s touch panel keeps it one step ahead of a7ii camera.
In addition, these cameras’ LCD comes with TFT colors, and They can be tilt; hence you can adjust it at different angles. Moreover, they have a 3.5 mm mic and headphone jack, plus they support NFC.
Battery and warranty:
Here, the Sony a7ii has NP-FZ 50 rechargeable battery; therefore, you can capture up to 350 frames and record videos for 60 minutes. Another side, Sony a7iii’s NP-FZ100 battery powers your camera to capture 610 shots and record videos for 115 minutes. In addition, you will get a one-year limited warranty with these cameras.
Sony a7iii and Sony a7ii are fine cameras, but when you are looking for the best one, you should go for Sony a7iii camera as this camera has unique and upgraded features.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7ii and Sony a7iii
|What type of battery is provided with Sony a7iii camera? |
You will get an NP-FZ100 rechargeable battery as you can capture up to 610 photos and record videos for 115 minutes.
Can I expand the ISO range of Sony a7ii?
This camera’s ISO range can’t be extended, but you can expand Sony a7iii’s ISO range to 50-204800.
Between a7ii and a7iii, which one will be better for fast shooting?
Sony a7iii will be better for fast shooting as this camera’s continuous drive speed is 10 frames per second.
Is there any mic terminal in the Sony a7ii camera?
Yes, you will find a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack for the mic terminal.
Is there any touch panel in the Sony a7ii camera?
This camera doesn’t have a touch panel, but the Sony a7iii has.
You may have interest in some other camera comparisons:
- Sony a6100 vs a6400
- Sony a7 III vs a7R III
- Canon R vs RP
- Canon 80D vs M50
- Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
- Canon M100 vs M50
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: