We have compared the Sony a7 and Sony a7S side by side and found some modern and work-friendly features in the Sony a7s. Therefore, we strongly recommend the Sony a7s mirrorless camera for you.
Why do We recommend Sony a7S?
- This device is formed with a 50-409600 ISO sensitivity range, whereas Sony a7’s ISO range is 50-25600. Therefore, the Sony a7s can capture high-resolution, sharp photos in any challenging lighting condition.
- You can record 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) videos with a Sony a7s camera, but with a Sony a7, you can record only Full-HD resolution (1920×1080 pixels) videos.
- Sony a7s camera is updated with a better battery optimization feature, enabling you to take up to 380 photos by charging the battery once. Another side, with the Sony a7, you can take only 340 photos.
- Some customers have complained about the Sony a7’s overheating problem and less comfortable hand grip. But, these problems are solved in the Sony a7s camera.
So, you can see that the Sony a7s has a better ISO sensitivity range, higher resolution recording capacity, and better battery optimization than the Sony a7. Therefore, we strongly suggest the Sony a7s camera for your fantastic photographic experience. Otherwise, if you prefer higher effective pixels in the image sensor or more autofocus points, you can go for the Sony a7.
Similar Features of Sony a7 and Sony a7S
- The continuous drive speed of Sony a7 and Sony a7s is 5 frames per second. So, you can take photos of any fast-moving object or instant moments.
- Both devices have a 0.5″-type electronic viewfinder with 2.36 million dots. Hence, they will provide you with a detailed preview of the object.
- They are formed with a 3.0″ type TFT LCD with a tilting adjustment facility enabling you to take photos and record videos from different angles.
- These Cameras are provided with a one-year limited warranty. So, if you face any manufacturer defect, you can claim for free repairing service.
Comparison Chart: Sony a7 vs a7S
|Specification||Sony a7||Sony a7s|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||50–25600||50–409600|
|Video recording||Full-HD (1920×1080 pixels)||4K UHD (3840 x 2160 pixels)|
|Battery life for still image||Up to 340 images||Up to 380 images|
|Auto Focus points||117 Points||25 Points|
|Continuous Drive Speed||5 frames per second||5 frames per second|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||24.3 Megapixels||12.2 Megapixels|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||474 grams||489 grams|
|Viewfinder Type||0.5″-type electronic viewfinder||0.5″-type electronic viewfinder|
|Viewfinder resolution||2.36 Million dots||2.36 Million dots|
|Image Stabilization||Not Supported||Not Supported|
|LCD monitor||3.0″ type TFT LCD||3.0″ type TFT LCD|
|Warranty policy||Limited one-year||Limited one-year|
Similarities & Differences Between Sony a7 and Sony a7S
Weight and Size:
Sony a7 weighs 474 grams, and the Sony a7S weighs 489 grams (including battery and SD card). Besides, the Sony a7 comes with 126.9 x 94.4 x 54.8mm dimension, and the Sony a7s’s size is 126.9 x 94.4 x 54.8mm. Here, the Sony a7 weighs lighter than the Sony a7s, but the Sony a7S has better hand grips for comfortable use.
Image sensor and video quality:
Sony a7s comes with 12.2 Megapixels, and the Sony a7 has 24.3 Megapixels 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor. However, the Sony a7 has better effective pixels than the Sony a7s. But, the revolutionary 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensors in these cameras will provide you with fine-quality images and videos.
Although the Sony a7s has a smaller sensor than the Sony a7, you can shoot 4K UHD resolution videos with the Sony a7s, but with the Sony a7, you can record only Full-HD videos.
ISO sensitivity range:
A higher ISO sensitivity range helps the camera to take detailed and low noise photos in a low light situation. Sony a7s ISO sensitivity range is 50–409600, whereas Sony a7’s capacity is 50–25600. So, with Sony a7s, you will get a higher ISO sensitivity range and shoot better photos in any lighting condition than its opponent Sony a7 camera.
Image Processor and Continuous drive speed:
Sony a7s and Sony a7 are built with BIONZ X image processing engines which maintain the color combination and provide faster performance. Again, the continuous drive speed of Sony a7and Sony a7s is five frames per second. So, both devices can take images of any instant moments or any fast-moving objects.
Viewfinder Type and LCD monitor:
Both devices have a 0.5″-type electronic viewfinder with 2.36 Million dots. So, these viewfinders will provide you a finely detailed preview of the object before taking the shot. Again, they are formed with 3.0″ type TFT LCD monitor with a tilting facility. Hence, you can adjust the monitor and can shoot from different angles.
Sony a7 and Sony a7s are excellent mirrorless digital cameras. But, if you prefer the best one, we will strongly recommend the Sony a7s camera as this device has work-friendly and updated features, which are not available in the Sony a7. Otherwise, choosing Sony a7 is not a bad idea, but you should strive for the best
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7 and Sony a7S
|What is the continuous drive speed of Sony a7s? |
The continuous drive speed of this camera is five frames per second. So, you can instantly take photos of any fast-moving object.
Does Sony a7 have any in-body image stabilization feature?
No, this camera doesn’t have an in-body image stabilization feature. But, by using an extra lens, you can have this feature.
How many photos can I take with Sony a7s? Does the battery have enough power capacity?
Yes, Sony has used NP-FW50 W-series Rechargeable Battery Pack in this camera, and you can take approximately 380 frames by charging the battery once.
Can I record 4K resolution videos with the Sony a7 camera?
No, with this camera, you can record Full-HD resolution videos. But, with Sony a7s, you can record 4K resolution videos.
Does Sony a7s is capable of recording time-lapse videos?
Sony a7s supports 120fps shooting at HD resolution, which enables you to create stunning 5x slow-motion effects.
You may have interest in –
- Sony NEX 7 vs a6000
- Sony RX100 VI vs VII
- Panasonic GH5 vs Sony a7iii
- Canon RP vs Sony a7ii
- Sony a7sii vs a7iii
- Sony a7iii vs Canon 5D Mark IV
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: