Sony a6400 and a6500 are two top-rated mirrorless cameras in the market. However, when we compared their main features, we found improved characteristics in the Sony a6400; hence, we recommend this superb camera.
Why We Recommend Sony a6400?
- The ISO sensitivity range of Sony a6400 is 100-32000, and you can expand this range to 102400. Another side, the Sony a6500 has a 100-25600 ISO range, which can be increased to 51200. Therefore, the Sony a6400 camera lets you capture crisp and sharp photos in any lighting environment better than its opponent.
- The self-portrait self-timer feature is available in the Sony a6400 camera to take your photo with perfect expressions. But, this feature isn’t available in Sony a6500.
- This device’s LCD monitor is more adjustable than the Sony a6500 as you can set it up by 180 degrees and down by 74 degrees, whereas a6500’s LCD can be adjusted up by only 90 degrees & down by 45 degrees.
- This camera has better battery optimization than the other one as you can capture up to 360 shots with this camera, whether you can click only 310 photos with a Sony a6500.
So, you can see that the Sony a6400 camera has better features than the Sony a6500. So, that’s why we strongly recommend the Sony a6400. Otherwise, if you want an in-body IS, then you can consider a Sony a6500 camera.
Similar Features of Sony a6400 and Sony a6500
- Both cameras have APS-C type Exmore CMOS sensors with 24.2 Megapixels; therefore, you can take high-resolution images and videos with them.
- They are capable of capturing fast-moving objects as their continuous shooting speed rate is 11 fps.
- Both cameras are NFC, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi compatible; therefore, you can quickly transfer your files.
- These devices have a 1.0 cm (0.39 types) electronic viewfinder (color) with 2.36 Million dots; hence before shooting, you can clearly view the details of the object.
- You will get a limited one-year warranty with them.
Sony a6500 vs a6400 Quick Comparison
|Specifications||Sony a6400||Sony a6500|
|Editor’s ratings||4.8 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Battery life for Still Images||360 Shots||310 Shots|
|Battery life for videos||70 minutes||65 Minutes|
|ISO sensitivity ( Still Images)||100-32000 (Expandable to 102400)||100-25600 ( expandable to 51200)|
|Image Sensor Type||APS-C type (23.5 x 15.6mm), Exmor CMOS sensor||APS-C type (23.5 x 15.6mm), Exmor CMOS sensor|
|Sensor resolution||24.2 Megapixels||24.2 Megapixels|
|Image sensor||BOINZ X||BOINZ X|
|Image stabilization ( In-body)||No||Yes|
|Continuous Drive speed||11 frames per second||11 frames per second|
|Silent shooting feature||Available||Available|
|Video recording||4K resolution||4K resolution|
|LCD monitor||7.5cm (3.0-type) wide type TFT||7.5cm (3.0-type) wide type TFT|
|Adjustable angle LCD||Up by 180 degrees & Down by 74 degrees (approx.)||Up by 90 degrees & Down by 45 degrees (approx.)|
|Memory card slot||2||2|
|Viewfinder Type||1.0 cm (0.39 type) electronic viewfinder (color)||1.0 cm (0.39 type) electronic viewfinder (color)|
|Warranty period||Limited One-year||Limited one-year|
Features & Benefits of Sony a6400 and Sony a6500
Image sensor, ISO range, and Auto Focus
Sony a6400 and Sony a6500 cameras have 24.2 Megapixels APS-C types (23.5 x 15.6mm) Exmor CMOS sensor that enables you to take high-resolution images and videos with stunning details.
Besides, Sony a6400’s ISO range is 100-32000, which can be increased to 102400. Another side, a6500 comes with a 100-25600 ISO sensitivity range, and you can expand this range to 51200. So, the Sony a6400 camera can take high-quality images with fine details in any lighting condition.
In addition, both cameras are capable of capturing 4K resolution videos. Moreover, you will find Fast Hybrid AF with 425 phase-detection features in these cameras, enabling you to focus on any particular object while taking photos or recording videos.
Image Processor and Continuous shooting speed rate
Both cameras are made with a BIONZ X image processing engine optimized for the image sensor, enhancing texture reproduction and image clarity. Moreover, this processor reduces noise and maintains color combinations for realistic photos.
In addition, their continuous drive speed is 11 fps as they can take perfect shots of any moving objects, and you can use these cameras for a sporting event.
LCD monitor and viewfinder
Both cameras have 7.35 cm (3.0-type) broad-type TFT LCD monitors, and their resolution is 921.6K dots. So, you will have an excellent preview of the images and videos.
In addition, the LCD monitors have a touch panel that can be tilted at different angles; therefore, you can take photos and videos from any desired viewpoint. Again, they have a 1.0 cm (0.39 types) electronic viewfinder (color) with 2.36 Million dots; hence you can adequately check the object before capturing it.
Battery and Warranty Policy
Although the Sony a6400 and a6500 have NP-FW50 rechargeable batteries, the a6400 camera has better battery optimization as you can take 360 photos and record videos for 70 minutes.
On the other side, the Sony a6500 camera can shoot 310 images and record 65 minutes of videos. Furthermore, the Company provides a one-year warranty with these cameras; hence you can repair them from the Company within one year from the date of purchase.
Sony a6400 and a6500 cameras are NFC compatible; therefore, you can quickly transfer your files to NFC-compatible devices. Besides, they have a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection for remote shooting, plus you can conduct silent shooting with them.
You are not going to buy a camera frequently, so you have to make the decision smartly. Here, the Sony a6400 is an excellent mirrorless camera compared to a6500.
Therefore, we recommend you this camera. Besides, if you have a budget problem, you can choose the Sony a6500, but you have to compromise all the unique features of the Sony a6400 camera.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a6500 and a6400
|Can I take a Sony a6400 camera for a sporting event?
Yes, this camera comes with 11fps drive speed; hence, you can shoot any fast-moving object image.
How many frames can I take with the Sony a6400 camera?
This camera has an NP-FW50 rechargeable battery, and you can click 360 frames with it.
How many card slots are in the Sony a6500 camera?
This camera has two card slots for memory cards.
Is there any IS in an a6400 camera?
The Sony a6400 camera doesn’t have in-body image stabilization, yet you can have this feature by using additional lenses.
Read more camera comparisons below: