Panasonic GH5 and Sony a7iii are fantastic cameras. But, after comparing them, we found some upgraded features in Sony a7iii camera. Therefore, we strongly suggest the Sony a7iii mirrorless camera for you.
Why We Suggest Sony a7iii?
- Sony a7iii has an Exmor R CMOS sensor (35mm full-frame) with 24.2 Megapixels, whereas Panasonic GH5 has only a 20.3 Megapixels Digital Live MOS sensor. Therefore, Sony a7iii’s bigger image sensor will help you take incredibly high-resolution photos.
- This mirrorless camera comes with Fast Hybrid Autofocus with 693 points, and Panasonic GH5’s Autofocus has only 225 points. So, with higher focus points, Sony a7iii can quickly lock the object and take perfectly focused photos every time you click.
- This device’s ISO sensitivity range is 100-51200, and you can easily adjust this range to 50-204800. Another side, Panasonic GH5 comes with a 200-25600 ISO range, which can be adjusted to 100 only. Hence, Sony a7iii camera provides you a better opportunity to take photos in every challenging lighting condition.
- Sony a7iii weighs 650 grams, whereas Panasonic GH5 weighs 725 grams. So, the Sony a7iii is about 75 grams lightweight than its opponent and will help you use it more comfortably.
- It has a more powerful battery than the GH5 camera, and you can take approximately 610 photos. On the contrary, Panasonic GH5 can capture 410 shots only.
These upgraded features make the Sony a7iii better than the Panasonic GH5 camera. Otherwise, if you prefer a bigger LCD monitor and higher Continuous drive speed, you can choose Panasonic GH5. But, in our opinion, between these two, the Sony a7iii would be the best one.
- Panasonic GH5 and Sony a7iii have an Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with a 5-axis compensation feature. Therefore, they can reduce shakes and help you take sharp photos.
- Both these cameras can record 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) videos with stunning clarity and quality.
- You will get a one-year limited warranty for free repair service with them.
Panasonic GH5 vs Sony a7iii Comparison Chart
|Specification||Panasonic gh5||Sony a7iii|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 Out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||20.3 Megapixels||24.2 Megapixels|
|Auto Focus points||225 Points||693 Points|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||725 grams||650 grams|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||200-25600||100-51200|
|Expanded ISO range||100||50-204800|
|Battery life for still image||410 Photos||610 photos|
|Viewfinder Type||OLED Live View Finder||1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color), XGA OLED|
|Viewfinder resolution||3,680k dots||2359K dots|
|Continuous Drive Speed||12 frames per second||10 frames per second|
|Image Stabilization||Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation||Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation|
|Video recording||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)|
|LCD monitor||8.0cm TFT||7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT|
|LCD Touch panel||Yes||Yes|
Features & Benefits of Panasonic GH5 vs a7iii
Image sensor and video recording
Panasonic GH5 has 20.3 Megapixels Digital live MOS sensor, whereas Sony a7iii has an Exmor R CMOS sensor (35mm full-frame) image sensor with 24.2 Megapixels. Therefore, Sony a7iii has a bigger image sensor than its opponent, producing high-resolution photos and videos. Again, you can record 4K resolution cinematic videos with them.
ISO sensitivity range
Sony a7iii’s ISO sensitivity range is 100-51200; if necessary, you can adjust this range to 50-204800. Besides, with Panasonic GH5, you won’t get an opportunity like a7iii as this camera’s ISO range is 200-25600 and can be expanded to 100 only.
Image Processor and Continuous Drive Speed
Panasonic GH5 has a new Venus Engine 10, and Sony a7iii has a BIONZ X image processing machine. Both image processors are new and updated. Therefore, both can produce high-quality images and videos with stunning details. But, in the case of Continuous drive speed, Panasonic GH5 is better than the Sony a7iii as this camera has 12 frames per second speed, whereas the Sony a7iii has a 10fps rate. Yet, for regular use, 10fps speed is enough.
LCD monitor and battery power
Sony a7iii comes with a 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT, and Panasonic GH5 comes with an 8.0cm TFT LCD monitor. Both cameras can be operated with touch as their LCD has a touch panel. Besides, the Sony a7iii has one rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100, and you can take approximately 610 images with it. On the other hand, Panasonic GH5 has Li-ion Battery Pack, and you can capture 410 photos with it. So, if you choose a7iii, you won’t need to charge it frequently.
Weight and dimension
Sony a7iii is 650 grams, and Panasonic GH5 weighs 725 grams. The weights of these cameras are measured after including the battery and SD card. Besides, Sony a7iii’s dimension is Approx. 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm and Panasonic GH5’s size is 138.5mm x 98.1 mm x 87.4 mm. So, you can see that the Sony a7iii is very portable, and you can carry and use this camera smoothly.
So, you can see that the Sony a7iii has some professional updates, which are not available in Panasonic GH5. Therefore, we strongly suggest The Sony a7iii mirrorless camera for you.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7iii and Panasonic GH5
|Between a7iii and gh5, which one is better for the power supply?
With a7iii, you can take approx. 610 photos, and with Panasonic GH5, you can capture only 410 images. So, it can be said that the Sony a7iii has a better power supply than the other one.
Is Sony a7iii capable of taking photos of any fast-moving object?
This device’s continuous shooting speed is 10 frames per second. So, the Sony a7iii can take the perfect photo of any fast-moving object.
Is there any touch panel in Panasonic gh5?
Yes, this camera has an 8.0 cm TFT LCD monitor with approx. 1,620k dots, plus this monitor has a touch panel. Therefore, you can easily operate this camera.
Does the aperture in the live view of Panasonic gh5 is adjustable?
Yes, you can adjust the aperture of this camera in live view.
Can I zoom while live streaming with Sony a7iii camera?
Yes, if the lens is zooming capable, you will be able to use the functions of the lens (such as zooming) during live streaming.
You may read some other camera comparisons below: