Nikon Z7 and Sony a7r iii are excellent mirrorless cameras. But, if you are looking for the best, we recommend Sony a7R III for you. Wanna know the reasons behind my recommendation? Then read the below section:
Why We Recommend Sony a7R III?
- Sony a7R III’s ISO sensitivity range is 100-32000, and this range is expandable to 50-102400. Another side, Nikon Z7’s ISO range is only 64-25600. So, the Sony a7R III can provide you with excellent high-resolution photos and videos for its higher ISO range.
- This device’s continuous drive speed is 10 frames per second, whereas Nikon Z7 comes with only 9 frames per second speed. Hence, the Sony a7R III has better continuous drive speed than its opponent, and with this camera, you can take perfect shots of a fast-moving object or an instant special moment.
- Sony a7R III comes with a powerful NP-FZ100 battery, which provides enough power to take 530 images by charging it once. In contrast, Nikon Z7 has one EN-EL15b battery, and with it, you can take only 330 shots.
- This mirrorless camera is formed with a 1.3 cm Quad-VGA OLED electronic viewfinder, whereas Nikon Z7 has a 1.27 cm viewfinder. Therefore, you will have a detailed view of the object with the Sony a7R III cameras as it has a bigger EVF.
- Sony a7R III weighs 657 grams, and Nikon Z7 weighs 675 grams. Hence, the Sony a7R III has 18 grams less weight than its opponent, which enables you to use this camera more comfortably.
So, you can see that the Sony a7R III has a better ISO sensitivity range, higher drive speed, a powerful battery, upgraded EVF, and lastly, this camera weighs lighter than the Nikon Z7. We strongly recommend the Sony a7R III cameras for these work-friendly features for you. Otherwise, if you have any budget problems, you can go for the Nikon Z7 camera, but don’t hesitate to get the best one with updated features, whether it may cost you some extra dollars.
Similar Features of Nikon Z7 and Sony a7R III
- Both mirrorless cameras have sensor-shift 5-axis image stabilization. So, you can take perfect shots and videos with them.
- You can record 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) cinematic movies with them.
- They come with a one-year limited warranty policy, which provides you with free repair service from the day of purchase.
Nikon Z7 vs Sony a7R III Comparision Chart
|Specification||Nikon Z7||Sony a7R III|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||64-25600||100-32000 ( Expandable to 50-102400)|
|Continuous Drive Speed||9 frames per second||10 frames per second|
|Battery Power||330 shots||530 Shots|
|Viewfinder Type||1.27-cm/0.5-inches(Quad VGA) OLED with color balance||1.3 cm (0.5-type) electronic viewfinder (color), Quad-VGA OLED|
|Auto Focus points||493 points||399 points|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||45.7 Megapixels||42.4 Megapixels|
|Sensor Type||Stacked CMOS sensor||Back-illuminated CMOS sensor|
|Image Processor||EXPEED 6||BIONZ X|
|Image Stabilization||5-axis image sensor shift||5-axis image sensor shift|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||675 grams||657 grams|
|Video recording||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)||4K resolution (3840 x 2160)|
|LCD monitor||3.2 Inches Tilting||3.0 Inches Tilting|
|Warranty policy||One-year limited||One-year Limited|
Certain features of the Nikon Z7 camera that you can consider
- Nikon Z7 camera has a 45.7 Megapixels Stacked CMOS sensor, whereas the Sony a7R III has a 42.4 Megapixel Back-illuminated CMOS sensor. Here, Nikon Z7 has higher effective pixels and an updated image sensor.
- This device has a hybrid Autofocus with 493 points so that it can accurately focus on the object. In contrast, Sony a7R III’s Auto Focus has only 399 points.
- This mirrorless camera has 3.2 inches Tilting LCD Display, whereas the Sony a7R III comes with 3.0 inches. So, with Nikon Z7, you will get a bigger LCD monitor.
So, if you want a better image sensor, higher autofocus points, and a more prominent display, then you can choose the Nikon Z7 mirrorless camera. But, we still recommend the Sony a7R III cameras for their professional features.
Features & Benefits of Nikon Z7 and Sony a7R III
Design, weight, and Size
Nikon Z7 and Sony a7R III camera comes with a premium black color and professional look. Besides, Nikon Z7 weighs 675 grams, and its dimension is 134 mm x 100.5 mm x 67.5 mm.
Another side, the Sony a7R III camera’s weight is 657 grams, and this device comes with 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 73.7mm size. Here, the Sony a7R III has 18 grams less weight than its opponent, and its compact size will provide you with a smooth plus comfortable photographic experience.
Image sensor and ISO sensitivity range
Sony a7R III has 42.4 Megapixels Back-illuminated CMOS sensor, and Nikon Z7 has 45.7 Megapixels Stacked CMOS sensor. Here, Nikon Z7’s image sensor is updated, but Sony a7R III would be a better choice for its ISO sensitivity range if you are a professional photographer. The ISO sensitivity range of Sony a7R III is 100-32000, which can be expanded to 50-102400. In contrast, Nikon Z7’s ISO range is only 64-25600.
Image processor, Image Stabilization, and Continuous drive speed
Nikon Z7 is formed with EXPEED 6, and Sony a7R III has a BIONZ X image processing engine. Both image processors are updated and capable of ensuring a decent fast performance plus color maintenance.
Besides, they have a 5-axis image sensor shift, reducing blurriness from camera shaking. Though they have powerful image processors and the same image-stabilized structure, they have differences in their continuous drive speed. Sony a7R III’s continuous drive speed is 10 frames per second, whereas Nikon Z7 has 9 fps. Therefore, the Sony a7R III is more capable of taking instant moments shots.
Viewfinder and LCD monitor Type
Sony a7R III has a 1.3 cm (0.5-type) electronic viewfinder, and Nikon Z7 has 1.27-cm EVF. So, Sony a7R III’s viewfinder is more significant than its opponent. So you will see better details of the frame before taking the shot.
Again, Nikon Z7 is formed with 3.2 inches LCD monitor, and the Sony a7R III’s LCD size is 3.0 inches. Both LCD monitors are touch compatible, and you can easily tilt the display at different angles while taking photos or recording 4K resolution videos.
So, you can see that the Sony a7R III mirrorless camera has more professional features than its opponent Nikon Z7. Therefore, we strongly recommend this camera for you. Otherwise, if you have a limited budget, you can go for the Nikon Z7.
Frequently Asked Questions about Nikon Z7 and Sony a7R III
Between Sony a7R III and Nikon Z7, which one has a better Image sensor?
Between these cameras, Nikon Z7 has a better image sensor as this device comes with a 45.7 Megapixels Stacked CMOS sensor that ensures a higher quality of the photos and video recordings.
Can Sony a7R III take accurate shots of any fast-moving objects?
Yes, this device’s continuous drive speed is ten frames per second, enabling you to take accurate pictures of special moments or any fast-moving objects.
Which one has a more powerful battery between these two mirrorless cameras?
Between these two cameras, the Sony a7R III cameras have a more powerful battery as with this device; you can capture 530 shots. Another side, the Nikon Z7 can take only 330 images by charging it once.
What is the ISO sensitivity range of the Sony a7R III mirrorless camera? Can I adjust this range?
Sony a7R III cameras come with a 100-32000 ISO sensitivity range, and in a low light situation, you can change this range to 50-102400.
Can I take photos at different angles with a Sony a7R III camera?
Yes, this device has a 3.0 inches LCD monitor with a touch panel and tilting adjustment feature that enables taking images at different angles.
You can also check more camera comparisons below-