Nikon D7100 and D7200 are fantastic DSLR cameras. Yet, if you are looking for advanced features, you should get the Nikon D7200 camera.
Why is Nikon D7200 a better choice?
- Nikon D7200 has a 24.2 megapixels DX-format CMOS sensor, whereas Nikon D7100’s sensor has only 24.1 Megapixels. So, Nikon D7200 will produce more magnificent images than Nikon D7100.
- This DSLR camera has an EXPEED 4 image processor, whereas Nikon D7100 has the previous version, EXPEED 3. Therefore, Nikon D7200’s upgraded and powerful image processor will ensure accurate color combination and fastest performance than its opponent’s processor.
- Nikon D7200 has an EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Battery, and you can shoot approx. 1110 photos by charging the battery once. But, with Nikon D7100, you can take only 950 shots. Hence, Nikon 7200’s battery has better optimization than its opponent, Nikon D7100.
So, you can see that Nikon D7200 has a more prominent image sensor, updated image processor, and fantastic battery optimization. Therefore, we think choosing Nikon D7200 over Nikon D7100 would be an intelligent choice! Otherwise, you can get a Nikon D7100 DSLR camera.
Similar features of the Nikon D7100 and Nikon D7200
- Nikon D7100 and Nikon D7200 cameras can capture up to 6 frames per second. Therefore, both cameras are capable of taking accurate snaps of any instant moments or fast-moving objects.
- They have an Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder, and their viewfinder magnification is 0.94x. Therefore, their viewfinder will give you a clear vision of the object with fine details.
- Their autofocus has 51-points. So, whenever the subject comes into the frame, they will instantly lock it.
- You can record Full HD (1,920×1,080) resolution videos with these DSLR Cameras.
- They have two card slots and these card slots support SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards. Hence, you won’t need to worry about the free space.
- A 1-year limited warranty is available with these devices for manufacturing defects.
Nikon D7100 vs D7200 Comparision Chart
|Specification||Nikon D7100||Nikon D7200|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.5 Out of 5||4.8 Out of 5|
|Continuous Drive Speed||Six frames per second||Six frames per second|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||24.1 Megapixels||24.2 Megapixels|
|Image Processor||EXPEED 3||EXPEED 4|
|Battery Life ( per charge)||950 shots||1,110 shots|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||100-6400 ( Expandable to 25600)||100-25600|
|Viewfinder Type||Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder||Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder|
|Viewfinder Magnification||0.94x (Approx.)||0.94x (Approx.)|
|Auto Focus points||51-points||51-points|
|Weight(Body Only)||23.8 oz. (675 g)||23.9 oz. (675 g)|
|LCD Monitor Type||Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD ( 3.2 inches)||Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD ( 3.2 inches)|
|Monitor’s resolution||1.23 Million Dots||1.23 Million dots|
|Video recording||Full HD (1,920×1,080)||Full HD (1,920×1,080)|
|Warranty policy||One-year limited||One-year limited|
Similarities & Differences between Nikon D7200 and Nikon D7100
The design of a camera makes sure comfort. So, before buying a DSLR, you must consider its size and weight.Nikon D7200’s dimension is 5.4 in. (135.5 mm) x 4.2 in. (106.5 mm) x 3.0 in. (76 mm) and Nikon D7100 comes with 5.3 in. (135.5 mm) x 4.2 in. (106.5 mm) x 3.0 in. (76 mm) size. Besides, they weigh 23.8 oz. (675 grams). Both cameras are lightweight, and their compact size will give you a fantastic photographic experience.
Image processor and image sensor:
Nikon D7100 has EXPEED 3, and Nikon D7200 has the updated EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. Therefore, you will get faster performance and stunning images with the Nikon D7200.
Moreover, Nikon D7200’s CMOS sensor has 24.2 Megapixels, whereas D7100’s sensor has 24.1 Megapixels. Hence, D7200 will produce higher resolution and clearer photos and videos than Nikon D7100.
Continuous Shooting speed and ISO:
Both cameras can capture up to 6 frames per second. Hence, they are capable of taking accurate snaps of any fast-moving object. Besides, Nikon D7100 has a 100-6400 ( Expandable to 25600) ISO range, and Nikon D7200’s ISO range is 100-25600. So, you will get impressive performance with these devices in low lights.
LCD monitor and Video recording:
You will get a 3.2 inches Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD with 1.23 Million Dots in these cameras. So, you can clearly see the captured photos and videos in it. In addition, both DSLR cameras can record high-quality Full-HD resolution videos at 60fps.
Nikon D7100 and Nikon D7200 have an EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Battery. But, Nikon D7200’s battery is optimized well; hence you can take 160 shots extraa. However, both DSLRs come with an MH-25 Quick Charger.
Both Nikon D7100 and D7200 are amazing cameras. Still, if you want the better and new features, we will recommend the Nikon D7200 DSLR camera.
Frequently asked questions about Nikon D7100 vs D7200
Is Nikon D7200 a good camera for a semi-beginner, or should I look at the D5500?
Nikon D7200 is a fantastic camera for semi-beginners. Though it comes with many settings and functions, this camera can also be used in simple mode. Moreover, you will get the chance to learn about the advanced functions,
What smartphone systems is Smart Bridge compatible with?
Nikon’s SnapBridge application can be used on iOS and Android-based smartphones. However, Nikon D7200 supports the Wireless Mobile Utility app, which is just like SnapBridge. Therefore, you can easily transfer your captured images directly to your smart device.
Does the Nikon D7200 camera have a live preview?
Yes, you can activate live preview by pressing the LV button on the back of the camera.
Does Nikon D7100 have external audio input?
Yes, this DSLR camera has a 3.5mm stereo input on the side area.
Will I get any battery charger with Nikon D7200?
Yes, you will get an MH-25a Quick Charger with this camera, but you won’t need it often as by charging this once, you can take approximately 1110 photos.
Check out related articles here –
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: