Both Nikon D5 and Nikon D850 have professional features. But, when we compared these two cameras, we found some advanced features in Nikon D850, and this device is affordable. Therefore, we suggest the Nikon D850 for you. Do you want to know other components of the D850? Check the below section:
Why Nikon D850 is better than Nikon D5?
- Nikon D850’s FX-Format CMOS image sensor with BSI design comes with 45.7 Megapixels and no optical low pass filter. So, this DSLR Camera can ensure extraordinary image quality, fast readout of data, and actual color combination. But, Nikon D5’s sensor has only 20.8 Megapixels.
- This DSLR camera’s 3.2 inches Tilting TFT LCD with a touch panel will help you take photos at different angles and customize settings easily and preview your captured files and videos. But, Nikon D5’s fixed 3.2 inches diagonal LCD won’t provide you with earlier mentioned facilities like Nikon D850.
- Nikon D850 comes with an Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex viewfinder with 0.75x magnification, whereas Nikon D5’s viewfinder has only 0.72x magnification. Hence, Nikon D850 has better viewfinder magnification than its opponent, Nikon D5, and this device will provide the exact details and size of the object.
- This DSLR camera has Bluetooth and supports the Snapbridge app. Therefore, you can transfer your captured files in a short time. But, Nikon D5 doesn’t have Bluetooth, and this camera doesn’t support the SnapBridge app.
- Nikon D850 weighs 2.02 pounds, and Nikon D5 weighs 3.1 pounds. So, Nikon D850 is lighter than Nikon D5, and you can easily travel with this DSLR camera.
Nikon D850 comes with a bigger image sensor, upgraded LCD monitor, viewfinder magnification, and more portability than Nikon D5. Therefore, choosing Nikon D850 would be an intelligent decision.
Similar features of Nikon D850 and Nikon D5 DSLR Cameras
- Both Nikon D850 and D5 have Nikon’s superior image processor EXPEED 5. So, you will get photos with low noise and excellent sharpness.
- Their autofocus has 153-points. Therefore, they will instantly lock the subject that comes into the frame.
- With these devices, you can record 4K resolution videos with a cinematic look.
- For manufacturer defects, they have a 1-year limited warranty policy.
Certain features of the Nikon D5 that you can consider
- Nikon D5’s continuous drive speed is 12 fps (14fps with mirror up), and Nikon D850 has 7fps. So, for taking sharp photos of any instant moment or sport, D5 provides impressive performance.
- Nikon D5’s ISO range is 100 – 102,400, and you can adjust this range to 50-3,280,000. Another side, Nikon D850 has a 64-25600 ISO range (which can be increased to 32-102400). Hence, Nikon D5 will produce low-noise images in challenging lighting situations.
- With an EN-EL18a Lithium-ion Battery, Nikon D5 can take approx. 3780 photos, whereas Nikon D850 has an EN-EL15a battery, by which you can capture 1840 images.
Nikon D5 has a better ISO range, higher continuous shooting speed, and a powerful battery. But, its price is a little bit higher. In contrast, the Nikon D850 has the same processor and some advanced features at a lower price. Therefore, according to our opinion, Nikon D850 would be the better option, and now you have to make the right choice.
Nikon d5 vs d850 Comparison Chart
|Specification||Nikon D850||Nikon D5|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.8 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||45.7 Megapixels||20.8 Megapixels|
|Sensor Type||Full-Frame Back-Illuminated Design CMOS sensor||FX-format CMOS sensor|
|Weight(Body only)||2.02 pounds||3.1 pounds|
|Continuous Drive Speed||Seven frames per second||12 fps ( 14fps with mirror up)|
|Auto Focus points||153 points||153 points|
|Image Processor||EXPEED 5||EXPEED 5|
|Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex||Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||64-25600||100 – 102,400|
|Expandable ISO range||32-102,400||50-3,280,000|
|LCD monitor||3.2 inches Tilting TFT LCD||3.2 in. diagonal|
|Monitor’s resolution||2.36 Million Dots||2.36 Million Dots|
|Touch panel||Yes||Yes ( Only for playback)|
|Battery Life ( per charge)||1840 shots||3780 shots|
|Video recording||4K resolution (3,840×2,160)||4K resolution (3,840×2,160)|
|Warranty policy||One-year limited||One-year limited|
Similarities & Differences between Nikon D5 and Nikon D850 DSLR Cameras
Nikon D5 weighs 3.1 pounds, and its dimension is 6.3 in. (160 mm) x 6.3 in. (158.5 mm) x 3.7 in. (92 mm). On the other hand, Nikon D850’s weight is 2.02 pounds, and its size is 5.8 in. (146 mm) x 4.9 in. (124 mm) x 3.1 in. (78.5 mm). Therefore, you can see that Nikon D850 is smaller than its opponent (Nikon D5), plus you can comfortably travel anywhere with this DSLR camera.
Tough Nikon D850 is cheaper; it has the same image processor as the D5. Both DSLRs have EXPEED 5 image processor. So, they will adjust the colors and give you realistic photos and videos. Moreover, this powerful processor will remove noise and make crisp images every time.
Nikon D850 is formed with an FX-Format Full-frame CMOS image sensor with 45.7 Megapixels and a back-side illuminated design. On another side, the Nikon D5’s image sensor has only 20.8 Megapixels. Therefore, Nikon D850 has enhanced efficiency for light gathering, plus it will ensure true color virtually. But, Nikon D5’s sensor won’t provide performance like D850’s sensor.
Continuous Drive speed and ISO sensitivity range:
For continuous drive speed and ISO sensitivity range, undoubtedly, D5 is better than Nikon D850. Nikon D5’s ISO sensitivity range is 100 – 102,400, which is expandable to 50-3,280,000, and its continuous shooting speed is 12 fps ( 14fps with mirror up). However, Nikon D850 has a 64-25600 ISO range, and you can adjust this range to 32-10,2400, plus its continuous drive speed is 7fps.
Both Nikon D5 and D850 have a 3.2 inches LCD monitor, but D850 LCD comes with better facility. You can tilt the screen while taking images at different angles, plus the touch screen ensures simple operability. But, Nikon D5’s LCD is fixed, and you can use the touch only for playback. However, Their LCD resolution is 2.36 million dots. Therefore, you have a clear preview of captured images.
Video quality and Battery performance:
Both DSLRs have dual XQD storage, and you can record 4k resolution videos with them. Moreover, having an EN-EL18a Lithium-ion Battery, you can take approx. 3780 photos with Nikon D5. Besides, Nikon D850 has an EN-EL15a battery, by which you can capture 1840 images.
In some instances, Nikon D5’s features are impressive. But, as you can see, after comparing all their features in accordance with the price range, we found Nikon D850 is the better DSLR.
Frequently asked questions about Nikon D5 vs D850
Can I use Nikon D850 for wild photography?
This device has weather sealing and a fantastic ISO range plus 7fps continuous drive speed. So, this DSLR is a beast for wild photography.
How does Nikon D850 perform with the 28-300 Nikkor lens?
Nikon D850 gives a decent performance with a 28-300 lens. This DSLR will produce very sharp photos with this lens in low lights.
Do the storage cards come with the Nikon D5 camera?
You have to buy them separately. The XQD card is better – the camera should have come with two of those slots instead of the SDcard slot.
What is the video recording capacity of the Nikon D850 Camera?
With this DSLR camera, you can transform dramatic moments into slow-motion sequences and 4K resolution videos.
What is the ISO sensitivity range of the Nikon D5, and Can I take photos in low-lights?
The ISO sensitivity range of this DSLR camera is 100-102400 ( Which is expandable to 50-3,280,000). Nikon D5 is a professional-level camera and is perfect for low-light photography.
Read related articles here –
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: