Nikon D3400 and D3500 are very popular entry-level DSLR cameras, plus they have many similar features. So, it’s a little hard to choose the better one from these two. Don’t worry; we have compared them and found some unique features in Nikon D3500. Therefore, we think the Nikon D3500 would be an excellent choice for you!
Why is the Nikon D3500 a better DSLR than the Nikon D3400?
- Nikon D3500’s battery is more optimized than its opponent D3400 as with this device, you can take approximately 1550 photos. On the other hand, with Nikon D3400, you can capture only 1200 photos.
- Nikon D3500 weighs 365 grams, whereas Nikon D3400 weighs 395 grams. So, Nikon D3500 is 30 grams lighter than its opponent, and it will provide you with a comfortable hand grip for a smooth photographic experience.
- This DSLR camera supports the PictBridge feature, but the D3400 doesn’t have this. Therefore, with Nikon D3500, you can directly print your files through a printer.
- Many customers have faced problems with Nikon D3400 as this device’s lens mount is made of plastic which gets damaged while changing lenses. But, Nikon D3500’s lens mount is sturdier enough for long-term use.
Now, if you are looking for a DSLR camera with a better-optimized battery, lightweight, direct printing, and durable structure, Nikon D3500 will be an excellent choice. Otherwise, you can go for Nikon D3400, but you have to compromise the features mentioned earlier. So, make the decision wisely!
Similar features of Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 cameras
- Both Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 have a 100-25600 ISO sensitivity range. So, they are capable of producing fine-quality photos in daylight or evening.
- Their continuous shooting speed is 5.0 frames per second. Therefore, you can confidently take photos of fast-moving objects.
- Both devices are formed with a 24.2-Megapixels CMOS image sensor. Hence, you can take crisp images that will catch the eyes of your social media friends.
- With these DSLR cameras, you will find an Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder and 11-focus points. Therefore, these cameras can instantly lock the object, and you can clearly see the thing before taking the final shot.
- The EXPEED 4 image-processing engine will ensure fast performance and maintain an accurate color combination.
- You can record Full-HD resolution videos with these DSLR cameras.
- You will get a one-year limited warranty with these Nikon cameras. Therefore, if you find any manufacturing defect, you can claim the company’s repair service without paying money.
Specification Chart: Nikon D3500 vs D3400
|Specification||Nikon D3500||Nikon D3400|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.9 out of 5||4.8 Out of 5|
|PictBridge Compatibility (Files)||Supported||Not supported|
|Battery life||1550 shots||1200 shots|
|Weight(Body only)||365 grams||395 grams|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||100-25600||100-25600|
|Continuous Drive Speed||5.0 frames per second||5.0 frames per second|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||24.2 Megapixels||24.2 Megapixels|
|Sensor Type||CMOS sensor||CMOS sensor|
|LCD monitor||3.0-inches TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor||3.0-inches Wide Viewing Angle TFT-LCD|
|Monitor’s resolution||921K dots||921K dots|
|Viewfinder Type||Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex||Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex viewfinder|
|Auto Focus points||11-points||11-points|
|Image Processor||EXPEED 4||EXPEED 4|
|Image Stabilization||Not supported||Not supported|
|Warranty policy||One-year limited||One-year limited|
Similarities and Differences between Nikon D3400 and Nikon D3500 cameras
Weight and Size:
Nikon D3500 weighs 365 grams and its dimensions are 124 mm x 97 mm x 69.5 mm. On the other hand, Nikon D3400 comes with a 395-gram weight and 124 mm x 98 mm x 75.5 mm size. You can see that Nikon has updated the D3500 by ensuring a lightweight and compact size. Therefore, you can carry this camera anywhere, and its handgrip will provide a comfortable photographic experience.
Image processor and ISO sensitivity range:
Both DSLR cameras have an EXPEED 4 image-processing engine. So, you are going to experience a decent and faster performance. Moreover, this image processor will ensure the proper color combination. In addition, these cameras’ ISO sensitivity range is impressive ( 100-25600) as you can take stunning photos in low lights with these DSLRs.
Image sensor and Continuous drive speed:
Both Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 have a 24.2 Megapixels CMOS image sensor. So, with them, you can take high-resolution photos and post them on your social media site. We guarantee you these images are going to be fantastic. Moreover, their continuous drive speed is 5.0 frames per second. Hence, while capturing a shot of fast-moving objects, you won’t need to worry.
LCD monitor and Battery life:
Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 have a 3.0-inches LCD monitor with 921k dots. Though their LCD monitor is fixed, you are going to have a great preview of the captured photos and videos because of their LCD monitor. Moreover, both DSLR cameras have an EN-EL14a rechargeable battery. But, Nikon has optimized the battery of D3500; hence with this DSLR, you can take approximately 1550 shots, whereas, with D3400, you can take only 1200 photos. So, You should go with a Nikon D3500 DSLR camera for better battery support.
You can see that the Nikon D3500 has better features than the Nikon D3400. Therefore, we strongly suggest, You should go for the Nikon D3500 DSLR camera. Otherwise, you can compromise the features mentioned earlier and get Nikon D3400.
Frequently asked questions about Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400
Does the Nikon D3500 have in-body image stabilization?
No, this DSLR camera doesn’t have in-body image stabilization. Still, its comfortable hand-grip will help you take sharp images.
Can I directly print files with a Nikon D3400 camera?
No, this device doesn’t have a PictBridge feature. So, you can not print files directly with this DSLR camera. But, this feature is available in the Nikon D3500.
What is the monitor type of Nikon D3500? Can I rotate it?
This DSLR camera has a 3.0-inches TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with 921k dots. You can’t rotate it as its display is fixed; still, you will get a clear view of captured images and recordings for its high resolution.
What is the video recording capacity of the Nikon D3500?
This DSLR camera can record Full-HD resolution videos at 60fps speed.
Do they support eye-fi cards?
Yes, both DSLRs support Eye-Fi cards. Therefore, you can directly transfer your files to your smart devices.
Check out related articles here –