The Canon R6 mirrorless full-frame camera uses deep learning technology to track its subject, and this will be improved when you provide it with the latest firmware version. Learn the vital things and follow the process to update the firmware.
How Do You Update Canon R6 Firmware?
Following the instructions below, you can update the latest version of the firmware of the Canon R6 from the previous one. But you will have to consider some basic rules before following the procedure.
Essential Things To Do Before Updating The Canon R6 Firmware-
- Ensure the battery of the camera is fully charged. If it is not fully charged, then the camera will turn to shut off while updating the firmware, and the process will not happen.
- You cannot turn the camera off or touch any of the camera’s buttons while updating firmware.
- The update will be done from the SD card, so removing the SD card from the camera’s card terminal is restricted.
- Separate the lens or adaptor from the camera before updating the firmware
- Format the SD card from the camera.
How Do You Format The SD Card From The Canon R6?
Formatting the camera’s SD card is needed before saving the firmware file. To do this-
- Insert the memory card into the camera’s card slot.
- Press the power button to turn on the camera and press the ‘Menu’ button to go to the ‘Wrench’ option in the menu. There you will find an option for formatting the SD card. Select that option to start formatting the card.
Firmware Updating Process
Check for the method below to update the firmware of the Canon R6. The Canon authority has released a new firmware version of 1.6.0 for this model on their official website. Type www.usa.canon.com from your computer to visit their site.
Open the site, and select ‘Drivers and Downloads’ to find an option for firmware. You will see a ‘Firmware” button while scrolling down the site, where the latest firmware versions for Windows and Mac computers are available.
Choose and download the latest version of the firmware from the site. Next, the file you have downloaded in a zipped format needs to be unzipped. After the extraction, the decompressed file will be shown as an ‘EOSR6160.FIR.’ Copy that file and send it to the SD card of the camera.
After inserting the card into the camera, turn it on and rotate the dialer to ‘P’ mode. Next, press the ‘Menu’ button, then go to the ‘Wrench’ under menu number ‘5’; you will find the ‘Firmware’ option.
Click that option. It will recommend you update the firmware as the camera finds new firmware saved in the memory. It also gives you information about the current version of firmware the camera is using.
When you select the ‘OK’ button on display and press the ‘Set’ button on the body, the camera will start updating firmware itself. It will take 5 minutes to complete the process. After updating the firmware, turn off the camera and power it up again to check the firmware version.
What Will You Do If The Camera Is Not Displaying The Firmware?
When you face a situation like this, you will copy the decompressed firmware file to the SD card again. Unfortunately, the camera will not show the latest version of firmware when it fails to find the saved file in its memory.
Link the memory card to the computer using a card reader to copy the decompressed file. Then, attach the memory card to the camera and repeat the whole procedure for installing the latest version.
What Are The Benefits Of Updating The Firmware?
You should update the firmware for some reasons-
- Firmware helps you to convert HEIF images to JPEG images
- It improves the functionality and the features of the device
- The device is allowed to compete with the new models
To improve the camera‘s stabilization performance, upgrades features and functionality, and fix minor issues, you need to install the latest firmware version in your Canon R6 full-frame mirrorless camera. I hope this guide helps you to update the firmware on your device.
You may have an interest in other articles –