Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and EOS Rebel SL3 are top-rated cameras full of quality features. But we have found some updated features in the SL3, which make it the best. So let’s find out these features:
What Makes the Canon SL3 the Best?
- You can record 4K videos at a frame of up to 24p, so you will get a cinematic experience. Plus, you can record 4k time-lapse videos with the Canon EOS Rebel SL3. But, SL2 doesn’t have the 4K video recording feature.
- Canon SL3 has better power optimization than the other one, as with it, you can capture 1630 frames in viewfinder shooting mode and 350 frames in live view shooting mode. But, with Canon SL2, you can capture only 840 frames in viewfinder mode and 290 frames in live view shooting mode.
- This camera has the updated Image processor DIGIC 8, which will provide fast processing, minimal noise, and better image quality. On the other hand, SL2 has a DIGIC 7 image processor.
- The SL3 combined with the 5-axis image stabilization, which will correct the subject’s motion and the shake of the camera. So, you will get smooth, stable movies and images with SL3. But SL2 doesn’t include this feature.
- It has an eye detection autofocus feature, which can focus automatically based on your object’s eye. But SL2 doesn’t include this feature.
- This camera’s weight is 449 grams, and SL2’s weight is 453grams. SL3’s weight is light, and it has a rounded grip. Thus, you can easily hold the camera with your hands plus, it would be comfortable to use.
- SL3 supports wireless API, so you can set various camera settings, capture photos, and retrieve images remotely through a Wi-Fi connection. But SL2 doesn’t support wireless API.
As you can see, Canon EOS REBEL SL3 has better features than the SL2. So, we strongly suggest you choose the Canon EOS SL3. Otherwise, you can get SL2 also, but you won’t get the above-mentioned features.
Similar features of Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and EOS Rebel SL3
- Both cameras have a total of 25.8 megapixels. So you can capture sharp, detailed images with them.
- The ISO range of these cameras is 100-25600, plus you can extend the range to 51200. With this ISO range, you can capture low noise, sharp, and high-resolution photos in low or high light.
- They have the same viewfinder type (Eye-level SLR) and viewfinder magnification (0.87x). So you can quickly check the focus.
- They can capture 5 frames per second as it would be easier for you to shoot fast-moving objects accurately.
- Both cameras have an optical viewfinder with nine (9) autofocus points which ensure sharp focus instantly.
Canon SL2 vs SL3 Comparison Chart
|Specifications||EOS REBEL SL2||EOS REBEL SL3|
|Editor’s ratings||4.6 Out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Weight||453 grams||449 grams|
|Dimension||122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8mm||122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8mm|
|4K video capacity||Yes||Yes|
|Eye detection AF||No||Yes|
|Image Format||22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C)||22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C)|
|Image sensor Type||CMOS sensor||CMOS sensor|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 7||DIGIC 8|
|Effective Pixels||24.2 megapixels||24.1 megapixels|
|Total Pixels||25.8 megapixels||25.8 megapixels|
|ISO range extended||51200||51200|
|Viewfinder Type||Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentamirror)||Eye-level SLR (with fixed pentaprism)|
|Compatible Lenses||Canon EF lenses||Canon EF lenses|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF mount||Canon EF mount|
|Dust Deletion Feature||3 Types||3 Types|
|Image Format||RAW and JPEG||RAW and JPEG|
|White Balance setting||8||8|
|Auto Focus Points||9 Points||9 Points|
|Shutter release||Soft-touch electromagnetic release||Soft-touch electromagnetic release|
|LCD type||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor|
|LCD Monitor Size||3.0 Inches||3.0 inches|
|Quick Control Function||Yes||Yes|
|USB terminal||USB 2.0||USB 2.0|
|Wireless API||Not Supported||Supported|
|Live view shooting||290||350|
|Recharge Period||8 Hours||8 Hours|
|Humidity Range||Less than 85%||Less than 85%|
|Warranty Period||One year ( Limited)||One year ( Limited)|
Features & Benefits of Canon SL2 vs SL3
Image Quality with Image sensor:
Both cameras have a 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C) CMOS image sensor with 24 megapixels. Besides, the total numbers of sensors of these cameras are 25.8MP. With this powerful sensor, both cameras are capable of capturing high-quality photos with fine details.
Weight and Dimension:
The weight of SL2 is 453 grams (15.98 oz.), including memory card and Battery, and SL3’s weight is 449 grams (15.84 oz.), including memory card and battery. Besides, Sl2 and SL3 have the same dimension of 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8mm. However, SL3 has 4 grams less weight and a rounded shape grip, so it would be easier for you to hold and use this camera.
Image processor and ISO range:
The ISO ranges of these cameras are 100 to 25600, plus you can extend the range to 51200. So, both cameras are capable of capturing low light images with sharpness and low noises. But, the main difference comes from the processor. Canon SL2 has DIGIC 7 processor, and SL3 has the updated version DIGIC 8 image sensor. So, you will get better opportunities like perfectly detailed photos, faster processing, and enhanced image stabilization with the updated version (DIGIC 8).
LCD monitor and Digital interface:
Canon SL2 and SL3 have the same sized LCD monitor (3.0 inches) plus the monitor type is liquid-crystal with TFT color. Besides, the aspect ratio of the monitor is 3:2 and includes 1.04 million dots. Furthermore, both cameras have USB2.0 and a type-C video out terminal. In addition, they have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth compatibility, so; you can capture your photos remotely with your smartphone device.
Auto Focus and Image Stabilization:
The EOS Rebel SL3 and SL2 include Dual Pixel CMOS AutoFocus, which ensures perfect and accurate autofocus every time, and you will have a virtual live view experience. This feature consists of a phase detection feature that provides fast, smooth, and precious autofocus on the object.
Besides, Canon Rebel SL3 has eye detection Auto Focus that analyzes the object and finds out where to focus based on the eye of the object. But eye-detection AF is not available in the SL2. Additionally, the SL3 has 5-axis image stabilization, and you can extend it by using lenses. But, SL2 doesn’t have this feature.
Video quality and FPS:
Both cameras can capture five (5) frames per second which will help you to get a perfect shot of a moving object. Besides, With SL3 you can record 3840 x 2160 (4K) resolution videos, 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) resolution videos, 1280 x 720 (HD) resolution videos and 1920 x 1080 (HDR) resolution videos.
You can also make Time-Lapse videos at 4K resolution with it. Besides, with SL2, you can record only Full HD videos at 60P, HD, and HDR quality videos, but you won’t record 4K videos. So, you should get SL3 for these updated 4K resolution recording features.
Power and Warranty:
They have LP-E17 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries, but SL3 has better battery optimization than the other one. You can capture 1630 frames (in viewfinder shooting mode) and 350 frames (in Live-view shooting mode). Besides, With SL2, you can capture 840 frames (in Viewfinder shooting mode) and 290 frames (in live view shooting mode).
These devices required eight hours to fully charge. However, the Canon Company ensures a limited one-year warranty. The company shall not give the free service if the damage is caused by misuse and rough use.
We have shown you all the features of the Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and SL3 and described the professional and updated features of the Canon EOS Rebel SL3. Therefore, according to our suggestion, SL3 would be your best choice.
Frequently asked questions about Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and EOS Rebel SL3
What is the Humidity range of the Sl2?
The humidity range of the canon SL2 is 85% or less than that.
How long do I have to re-energize the Battery of SL3?
Canon SL3 has a very powerful battery, and you need 8 hours to recharge it.
What is the difference in the USB terminal of these cameras?
No, both cameras include USB 2.0, and you can quickly transfer photos with them.
How many languages are in SL3?
There are almost 29 types of languages available in the SL3.
Can I record 4K resolution videos with the Canon SL2?
You cannot record maximum FULL HD quality videos with SL2, but if you want 4K resolution videos, you have to go with SL3.
You may have an interest in –