If you want to get the best mirrorless camera between Canon EOS RP and Sony a7ii, then we strongly recommend Canon EOS RP as this camera has some advanced features. Wanna know more? Read down the below sections:
Why We Recommend Canon EOS RP?
- Canon EOS RP comes with Dual Pixel CMOS AF with 4779 points, whereas Sony a7ii has Fast Hybrid AF with only 117 points. Therefore, Canon EOS RP can focus better than Sony a7ii and produce focused images every time.
- This device’s auto ISO range is 100-40000, and you can increase this range to 50-102400. Another side, the Sony a7ii comes with a 50-25600 ISO range, which can be extended to 50-51200. So, Canon EOS RP helps you take perfect shots in any challenging lighting condition than its opponent.
- You can record 4K UHD resolution (3840 x 2160) videos with the Canon EOS RP, whereas the Sony a7ii can record only Full-HD (1920 x 1080) videos.
- This mirrorless camera has a 26.2 Megapixels CMOS sensor, and the Sony a7ii comes with 24.3 Megapixels Exmor CMOS sensor. Hence, Canon EOS RP has a bigger image sensor than a7ii, and this device can capture high-resolution photos with accurate details.
- Canon EOS RP has a 3.0-inch TFT-colored liquid-crystal monitor with a Touch panel and Vari-angle adjustment facility. So, you can operate this camera by touching it, and the Vari-angle adjustment facility provides you an excellent opportunity to record vlogs easily. But, Sony a7ii’s LCD monitor doesn’t have a touch panel, and the tilting adjustment won’t provide facility like the EOS RP.
- Including the Battery and Memory card, Canon EOS RP weighs 485 grams, whereas Sony a7ii weighs 599 grams. Therefore, Canon EOS RP’s weight is lighter than its opponent’s, and you can use it for long without any discomfort.
So, if you choose Canon EOS RP, you will have all these extra features. That’s why we strongly recommend you this mirrorless camera. Otherwise, if you prefer in-body image stabilization and a powerful battery with a high price range, you can go for the Sony a7ii. But, you have to compromise all the updated features available in Canon EOS RP. So, now, make the intelligent decision.
- Canon RP and Sony a7ii have five frames per second continuous drive speed. Therefore, both cameras can take perfect shots of any object or moment moving fastly.
- Both mirrorless devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth features. So you can easily transfer your photos and videos with others.
Comparison Chart: Canon RP vs Sony a7ii
|Specification||Canon EOS RP||Sony a7ii|
|Editor’s Ratings||4.9 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
|Continuous Drive Speed||5 frames per second||5 frames per second|
|Auto Focus points||4779 points||117 points|
|Viewfinder Type||OLED color electronic viewfinder||0.5″-type electronic viewfinder (color)|
|Weight ( Including Battery and Memory Card)||485 grams||599 grams|
|ISO Sensitivity Range||100-40000||50-25600|
|Expanded ISO range||50-102400||50-51200|
|Image Stabilization||No||Yes (5-axis)|
|Video recording||4K UHD (3840 x 2160)||Full-HD (1920 x 1080)|
|Image Sensor ( Effective Pixels)||26.2 Megapixels||24.3 Megapixels|
|LCD monitor||3.0-inch TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor||3.0″ type TFT LCD|
|LCD Touch panel||Yes||No|
|Battery life for still image||250 photos||350 Photos|
|Warranty policy||Limited one-year||Limited one-year|
Similarities & Differences Between Canon EOS RP and Sony a7ii
Weight and Dimension:
When you insert the battery and memory card, Sony a7ii weighs 599 grams, and Canon EOS RP weighs only 485 grams. So, Canon EOS RP is 114 grams lighter than its opponent. Again, Canon EOS RP’s dimension is 132.5 x 85.0 x 70.0 mm and Sony a7ii’s dimension is 126.9 x 95.7 x 59.7 mm. So, you can see that Canon EOS RP has a very convenient size and weight for a long time comfortable use.
If you are looking for a camera that can produce high-resolution photos and videos, then Canon EOS RP will be a wise choice as this camera has a 26.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor. Besides, the Sony a7ii has 24.2 Megapixels Exmor CMOS sensor. So, Canon EOS RP has a bigger image sensor than its opponent, plus it can produce better quality photos than Sony a7ii.
ISO sensitivity range:
Canon EOS RP’s ISO sensitivity range is 100-40000, and you can expand this to 50-102400. Another side, the Sony a7ii has a 50-25600 ISO range, which is expandable to 50-51200. Therefore, Canon EOS RP has a better ISO range than its opponent; plus, you can capture more sharp photos in all lighting conditions with this camera.
Image processor and Continuous drive speed:
Sony a7ii has BIONZ X, and Canon EOS RP has DIGIC 8 image-processing engine. Both image processors will make sure the color combinations and provide fantastic results. Again, both devices have five frames per second continuous drive speed; hence they can take the perfect shot of a fast-moving object.
Viewfinder and Video recording:
Both cameras have an Electronic viewfinder ( Color) with a satisfactory resolution. Hence, you will have a special preview of the object. But, Sony a7ii’s viewfinder magnification is 0.71x, and Canon EOS RP’s viewfinder magnification is 0.70x. So, here, a7ii has slightly better magnification than EOS RP. But, again, suppose you want to record high-resolution videos with a cinematic look. In that case, you should go for Canon EOS RP as this camera can record 4K UHD resolution videos (3840 x 2160). In contrast, the Sony a7ii can record only full-HD resolution videos.
LCD monitor and battery power:
Sony a7ii and Canon EOS RP have 3.0-inches TFT color and a liquid-crystal monitor, but Canon EOS RP’s LCD has advanced features like a touch panel and Vari-angle adjustments. Therefore, if you prefer self-vlog, then this will be ideal. Another side, the Sony a7ii has tilting adjustments, but there is no touch panel. Furthermore, the Sony a7ii has an NP-FW50 rechargeable battery, and you can take 350 images with it. On the other hand, Canon EOS RP has Battery Pack LP-E17, enabling you to capture 250 shots.
You can see that Canon EOS RP is an updated camera with professional features. Therefore, we strongly recommend the Canon EOS RP mirrorless camera. Otherwise, you can choose the Sony a7ii, but you must compromise some fantastic features.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sony a7ii and Canon EOS RP
|Can Sony a7ii record 4K resolution videos? |
No, this device can record only Full-HD resolution videos. But, you can record 4K resolution videos with a Canon EOS RP camera.
What is the drive speed of the Sony a7ii?
This camera’s Continuous drive speed is five frames per second.
Between a7ii and EOS RP, which one has better autofocus?
Sony a7ii has Fast Hybrid autofocus with 117 points, whereas Canon EOS RP comes with Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus with 4779 points. So, EOS RP has better autofocus than Sony a7ii.
Can I take sharp photos in low light with Canon EOS RP?
Yes, this camera’s auto ISO range is 100-40000, and you can adjust this range to 50-102400. Therefore, Canon EOS RP can capture sharp photos in any challenging lighting situation.
Does Sony a7ii’s LCD have a touch panel?
No, Sony a7ii’s LCD doesn’t have a touch panel. But, Canon EOS RP’s LCD has a touch panel.
You may read more about camera comparisons below:
- Sony a7sii vs a7iii
- Sony a7iii vs Canon 5D Mark IV
- Nikon Z5 vs Sony a7iii
- Sony a6300 vs a6400
- Sony a6000 vs a6300
- Sony a6400 vs a7iii
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: