Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R come with some standard features. But between these two, we recommend Canon R6 for you as it has more impressive functions than the other one.
Why We Recommend to ChooseCanon EOS R6?
- This camera has a new DIGIC X processor, which will help you capture high-quality 4K resolution videos at 60fps. But EOS R camera has a DIGIC8 processor, and you can record 4K resolution videos at a maximum of 30 fps.
- The Canon EOS R6 camera covers 100% horizontal by 100% vertical Auto Focus areas, whereas EOS R covers 88% horizontal by 100% vertical. So, the R6 camera has better AF coverage than the other one.
- The EOS R6 provides you the best opportunity to capture fast-moving things with twelve frames per second capacity. In contrast, EOS R’s continuous shooting speed is eight frames per second.
- With this camera, you will find HEIF image format, which produces higher image quality in a smaller size than the old JPEG format. But EOS R’s image format is JPEG.
- Subject detection of Canon EOS R6 is better than the R, as this camera can focus by detecting the subject’s body, face, and eye and see animals. But, EOS R can only focus by catching the subject’s eye and face.
- In EOS R6, you will find in-body 5-axis image stabilization, which will help you capture perfect shots by preventing any camera shake. But the other one doesn’t have in-body image stabilization.
- You can capture sharp and high detailed photos and videos in a low light situation with the Canon EOS R6 camera, as this camera’s ISO range (auto) is 100-102400, plus you can expand it to 204800. On the other hand, EOS R’s ISO range is 100-40000, and you can increase it to 102400.
- The Canon R6 has a powerful battery (LP-E6NH), and you can capture 510 photos; plus, it has two memory card slots. But with Canon R, you can capture only 370 images, and this camera has only one card slot.
So, you can see that the Canon EOS R6 camera comes with unique and modern features, which aren’t available in the Canon R camera. Therefore, we strongly recommend; Canon EOS R6 is going to provide you the best photographic experience than the other one.
Similar Features of Canon EOS R and Canon EOS R6
- They have a 0.5-inch OLED color EVF with 3.69 million dots which will provide you a smooth preview of the photo with excellent details before you capture it.
- You can conduct anti-flicker shooting with both cameras.
- These cameras have USB Type-C interphase, which ensures fast transfer of files.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compatibility in these cameras will help to capture images remotely.
- One year limited warranty is ensured with them.
Quick Comparison Chart
|Specifications||Canon EOS R||Canon EOS R6|
|Editor’s Rating||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Weight ( Including battery and SD card)||660 grams||680 grams|
|Dimension||135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4mm||138.4 × 97.5 × 88.4 mm|
|Image Sensor||30.3 megapixels Full-frame CMOS||20.1 megapixels CMOS|
|Sensor Size||36.0 x 24.0mm||36.0 x 24.0 mm|
|Image Processor||DIGIC8||DIGIC X|
|Lens Mount||Canon RF mount||Canon RF mount|
|Auto Focus||Dual Pixel CMOS||Dual Pixel CMOS|
|Subject Detection||Face and Eye||Body, face, eye, and animal|
|AF area||88% horizontal by 100% vertical (Approx.)||100% horizontal by 100% vertical (Approx.)|
|Maximum Frames per second||Eight Frames||Twelve Frames|
|Image Format||JPEG, RAW, and C-RAW||JPEG, HEIF, RAW / C-RAW (CR3)|
|ISO range ( Auto)||100-40000||100-102400|
|White Balance Type||Auto||Auto|
|Viewfinder Type||0.5-inch OLED color EVF||0.5-inch OLED color EVF|
|Number of Dots in Viewfinder||3.69 Million||3.69 Million|
|LCD Monitor Type||3.15 inches Clear View LCD II||3.0 inches Clear View LCD II|
|LCD resolution||2.1 Million Dots||1.62 Million Dots|
|Flash Modes||E-TTL II Auto Flash, Metered Manual||E-TTL II Auto Flash, Metered Manual|
|Auto light Optimizer||Four settings||Three settings|
|Movie type||4K UHD, Full HD and HD||4K UHD and Full HD|
|USB Interphase||USB 3.1||USB 3.1|
|Wi-Fi and Bluetooth||Yes||Yes|
|Direct Printing||Possible||Not possible|
|Memory Card Slot||One||Two|
|Battery power||LP-E6N Li-ion rechargeable Battery||LP-E6NH Li-ion rechargeable Battery|
|Battery Life for still images||370 Photos||510 Photos|
|Warranty Period||Limited warranty for one year||Limited Warranty for one year|
Certain Features of Canon EOS R camera that you can consider:
- This camera has 30.3 megapixels Full-frame CMOS sensor, whereas R6 has 20.1 Megapixels. So, EOS R’s sensor is going to provide you photos and videos with high-resolution.
- With the EOS R camera, you will find a bigger LCD screen (3.15 inches) with a higher resolution (2.1 Million dots) than the EOS R6 camera because R6 has 3.0 inches LCD monitor, with 1.62 Million dots.
- You directly print your files with this camera, but this feature isn’t available in the Canon EOS R6 camera.
So, if you are looking for a giant image sensor camera with a bigger screen and direct printing feature, you can go for the Canon EOS R camera. But, you have to overlook all the modern features of the Canon EOS R6 camera.
Similarities and Differences of Canon EOS R and Canon EOS R6 camera:
Image Sensor and IS:
Canon EOS R camera has a Full-frame CMOS sensor with 30.3 megapixels, whereas EOS R6 comes with 20.1 Megapixels CMOS sensor. Therefore, EOS R has better effective pixels than the R6 camera, but the in-body 5-axis image stabilization feature in R6 keeps it ahead of the EOS R camera. Furthermore, if you use RF lenses with R6, you can extend the IS to eight stops for perfectly stabilized photos and videos.
Size and Dimension:
With battery and SD Card, the Canon EOS R camera weighs 660 grams, and its dimension is 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4mm. Besides, the R6 camera’s weight is 680 grams, and its size is 138.4 × 97.5 × 88.4 mm. So you can see that the Canon EOS R camera’s weight is lighter than the R6. But the R6 camera’s small dimension with a comfortable handgrip will provide you a comfortable usage.
The processor is one of the essential parts of your camera. Canon updated the R6 camera with a DIGIC X image processor, whereas EOS R has an older version of DIGIC8. DIGIC X processor will ensure faster performance, and it will help produce more qualified images and videos by reducing unnecessary noises.
The higher ISO range provides you the best facility when capturing images or recording videos in low lights. The Auto ISO range of Canon EOS R is 100-40000, and you can expand this to 102400. Another side, EOS R6’s ISO range (auto) is 100- 102400, which can be expanded to 204800. So, Canon EOS R6 provides you with a higher ISO range and Sharper images and videos than the competitive one.
Both cameras have Dual Pixel CMOS Auto Focus which will help you to focus on the object accurately. But, R6 can detect the subject’s body, face, eye, and animals, whereas R can detect only the subject’s face and eye. Furthermore, R6 covers the whole Auto Focus area.
As Canon R6 has an upgraded DIGIC X Image processor, you can record 4K resolution videos at 60fps and Full HD resolution videos at a 120fps frame rate. But, EOS R can record 4K resolution videos at 30fps and Full HD videos at 60fps. So, you can see that R6 will provide you with excellent and higher-resolution videos.
LCD Monitor and Viewfinder:
Canon EOS R has 3.15 inches clear View LCD II, and R6 comes with 3.0 inches LCD. R’s LCD has 2.1 Million dots, and R6’s LCD has 1.62 million dots. So, EOS R’s LCD will provide you better preview than the R6’s LCD. Furthermore, both cameras have OLED color EVF (0.5 inches) with 3.69 million dots.
Both cameras support UHD-II SD cards. But, Canon EOS R has only one card slot, whereas EOS R6 has two. As Canon R6 has two card slots, you won’t need to worry about storage while capturing images and recording videos.
Battery and Warranty:
If you want to capture lots of photos, you must emphasize the camera’s battery. Canon R6 has an LP-E6NH Li-ion rechargeable Battery, and with this camera, you can capture 510 frames. On the other hand, Canon EOS R has an LP-E6N Li-ion rechargeable Battery, and you can shoot 370 photos with it. Both cameras come with a limited warranty for one year. But, they won’t provide free service if the damages are caused by misuse and rough use.
Canon EOS R6 camera is the updated version of the Canon EOS R camera. This camera comes with unique features that aren’t available in Canon EOS R. For these features; we strongly recommend you Canon EOS R6. Otherwise, Canon EOS R isn’t a wrong choice.
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon EOS R and Canon EOS R6 cameras:
|Between r and r6, which one provides better IS?|
Canon EOS R6 provides you better IS between these two, and this camera has an in-body 5-axis IS with eight stops.
Does R6 have any white color balance settings?
Yes, R6 has auto white color balance, and if necessary, you can manually set the color balance settings.
What is the maximum frame rate of the Canon R6 camera?
This camera can capture a maximum of twelve frames per second which will help you catch any fast-moving objects like racing cars or boats, etc.
How many images can In capture with a Canon EOS R camera?
Canon EOS R has LP-E6N Li-Ion Battery, and you can capture 370 images with the camera. But, With R6, you can capture 510 photos.
You can also read some other camera comparisons below:
- Canon G7X Mark II vs Mark III
- Canon SL3 vs M50
- Sony a7RIII vs a7RIV
- Canon M50 vs M200
- Canon M6 Mark II vs M50
- Canon M50 vs M50 Mark II
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: