Canon R and Sony A7 III both DSLR cameras have impressive features. But we highly suggest the Sony a7 III for you.
Why do we suggest the Sony A7 III?
- Sony A7iii comes with a better ISO range of 100- 201800, which is very effective in taking photos during light and sunlight as well. In contrast, the Canon R comes with an ISO range of 100-102400.
- It can capture up to 610 shots with a single charge. But, the alternative will last for only 370 shots with a full charge.
- Sony A7 III combines with 10fps whereas its rival device has 8fps. Though there’s a slight difference yet it lets you capture better video.
- This camera has a BSI sensor that captures sharp images in lower lighting conditions and gives sharp photos. In contrast, the other one does not have this feature.
- Sony A7 III has a digital image stabilization feature that reduces shakes to capture sharper images. Besides, its competitor does not have this feature.
- The weight of Sony a7iii is 650g, besides its competitor 660g. Therefore, it’s very comfortable to carry anywhere compared to Canon r.
All these unique features let you perfectly click images and video footage. For those advanced features, you can choose the Sony A7iii.
Similar features between Canon R and Sony a7iii
- Both cameras come with weather-sealed features which protect your device from harsh weather.
- Their screen can be flip-out easily which helps to take tricky shots.
- They have a stereo microphone. It allows recording audio files or movies in stereo without an external microphone.
- This device has a battery level indicator. It warns you when the battery gets low.
|Specification||Canon R||Sony A7iii|
|Editors Rating||4.7 out of 5||4.8 out of 5|
|Product Dimension||3.3 x 5.3 x 3.9 inches||5 x 3.88 x 3 inches|
|Continuous shooting speed||8fps||10fps|
|Battery LIfe||370 shots||610 shots|
|Dustproof and water resistance||Yes||No|
|External memory card slot||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty||1 Year||1 Year|
Differences and Similarities between Canon R and Sony a7iii
Size & Weight
If you notice carefully, you can see that the Sony a7iii is smaller than Canon r. Its body is 2mm shorter and 10mm thinner than Canon r. This camera’s body weight is 650g, and the product dimension is 5x 3.88 x 3 inches. On the other side, canon r body weight is 660g, and product dimension is 3.3 x 5.3 x 3.9 inches.
In this section, Canon r is one step ahead of Sony a7iii. The bigger screen gives the best experience to the user. Canon r screen size is 3.2 inches, while Sony a7iii screen size is 3 inches. Their screen can be flip-out easily, and it supports the touch screen feature.
Both cameras have weather-sealed features in their body. Canon R has a dustproof and water resistance feature, besides Sony A7iii does not have this feature. It’s a negative point for Sony a7iii.
Canon R has a 30mp APS-C CMOS sensor. Besides, the Sony A7iii has a 24mp BSI-CMOS sensor and features a Bionz X processor. Sony A7ii provides a higher ISO range than Canon r. Its ISO range is 204800, and the Canon R ISO range is 102400. The higher ISO range captures better pictures in low light conditions.
Lenses are essential for any camera. There are 146 lenses available for Sony A7iii. On the other hand, there are only 22 lenses available for Canon R. Another important feature is image stabilization. Sony A7iii has an image stabilization feature that makes the image stabilized. Unfortunately, the Canon R does not have this feature.
Both cameras have the same 4k-3840p x 2160p video resolution. They have phase detection autofocus for videos. It captures the footage with more details. Both devices support slow-motion video recording. There is also a time-lapse function that shows a long passage of time sped up.
Continuous shooting speed
Sony A7iii comes with 10fps continuous shooting speed, it captures 10 images per second, whereas Canon R comes with 8fps, it takes 8 photos per second. This feature is useful for catching action shots.
Battery life is also important for any camera. This camera battery power is 2280 mah while the Canon R battery power is 1865 mah. Sony a7iii can take 610 shots, and Canon r can take 370 shots per charge. They have a battery level indicator that notifies you whenever the battery gets low.
Both devices support a built-in wireless connection. Canon R supports NFC, while Sony A7iii does not support this feature. Sony A7iii has a dual card slot, and you can add an extra memory card if you want. On the other hand, Canon r does not have a dual card slot.
Durability and warranty
Both cameras are of top-notch quality, so they provide long-term service. You can use these years without any objection. Both cameras come with a 1-year warranty. At this time, if the product gets damaged, then you can call their customer service.
After reading all of these, you will get to know that both are great cameras. You will get amazing photos and videos using the Sony a7iii because of its higher ISO range and other features. Otherwise, Canon R is also a good choice.
Frequently asked questions about Canon R VS Sony a7iii
Does this come with a memory card?
No, you have to buy it separately.
Does Sony a7iii have a dedicated panorama function?
No, that’s either done in lightroom/photoshop or an app via phone or from a gimbal. Either way, you will still need to do it in a photoshoot or lightroom.
Does this camera record in infrared light?
No. It has an IR filter. You would need to modify the sensor for most mirrorless and DSLRs for infrared photography.
Will a Canon flash work?
It will work, but only in manual mode; the TTL and camera-controlled functions will not work.
Check out the related comparison here –