Canon 90D was released in Aug 2019 & 70D released Oct 13. Both Cameras are Amazing with some similarities & differences, but if you are looking for the best one with better photo & video quality, I would recommend the Canon 90D rather than 70D.
Why do I recommend Canon 90D?
- Canon 90D has 33 megapixels APS-C Camera sensor, whereas 70D has 20 megapixels APS-C sensor. A better megapixel camera helps to capture images and videos in higher Resolution with more details.
- The Maximum sensor resolution of D850 is (6960 x 4640) where 70D is 5472 x 3648, which means 90D can provide you with better resolution Images and videos with more Detailed.
- The light sensitivity of the Canon 90D is 100-25600 ISO & expandable to 50- 51000 ISO, but 70D is 100-12800. You will get 2 times better low-light & tough-light photography with Canon 90D than 70D.
- Its continuous shooting speed is 11 fps, Which means it can take up to 11 pictures in a second whereas Canon 70D can take up to 7. To do that you just need to press & hold the shutter button. This feature gives you more options to select the best shoot from 11 of them.
- Canon 90D is built with latest DIGIC 8 image processor and 70D is built with DIGIC 5+ processor. DIGIC 8 processor is built to provide better autofocus, faster Image processing, better resolution and it consumes less power to run for extra time.
- The 90D has digital Image Stabilizer which helps to reduce image blurring to get a perfect shoot, but Canon 70D Doesn’t have any image Stabilizer.
- The battery power of the Canon 90D is super it can shoot 1300 pictures on a single charge whereas Canon 70D can shoot only 920.
- Canon 90D can record high-resolution 4k video while D800 can shoot only Full HD video. With 70D you can record beautiful 3840×2160 realistic video with every single detail.
- Canon 90D contains 45 focus points, which helps to focus on 45 objects at the same time whereas the Canon 70D has 19 focus points.
- You can use Canon 90D as a webcam instead of Laptops and other webcams to make a good impression when you are attending a meeting, but you can’t with Canon 70D.
- The 90D camera also has a timelapse recording feature for creative shooting. But the Canon 70D does not come with this amazing option.
- This camera supports a UHS-II card, which ensures high capacity, faster downloads, and better performance to shoot and store videos & photos. But Canon 70D doesn’t support this type of card.
- Canon 90D can record (3840 x 2160) Video at 60 FPS, which helps to record fast-moving objects without getting blurred. Canon 70D can record at 30 which will be blurred.
- Anti Flicker feature is available on Canon 90D that helps to reduce uneven color and exposure under flickering light but Canon 70D Doesn’t have it.
- It has a focus bracketing option, which allows you to take several images with different points of focus. 70D doesn’t allow you to do that.
Maybe the Canon 70D price can make you comfortable because it’s little bit cheaper then 90D. But you have to compromise all the above-mentioned features, Now the choice is yours. I hope it was helpful to get the right one.
Side by side comparison
|Specification||Canon EOS 90D||Canon EOS 70D|
|Editor’s ratting||4.8 out of 5||4.6 out of 5|
|Image processor||DIGIC 8||DIGIC 5+|
|Sensor Megapixels||33 megapixels||20 megapixels|
|Sensor Dimensions||22.3 x 14.9 mm||22.5 x 15 mm|
|Max Electronic Shutter||1/16000s||n/a|
|Number of Focus Points||45||19|
|Max Sensor Resolution||6960 x 4640||5472 x 3648|
|Max Native Light sensitivity||100-25,600 ISO||100-12,800 ISO|
|Max Boosted Light Sensitivity||51200 ISO||25600 ISO|
|Built-in Image Stabilization||Digital only||No|
|UHS card support||UHS-II card||None|
|Continuous Shooting||11.0 fps||7.0 fps|
|Max Video Resolution||3840 x 2160||1920 x 1080|
|Video Formats||MPEG-4, H.264||H.264|
|Battery Life||1300 shots||920 shots|
|Price||Check canon EOS 90D price||Check canon EOS 70D price|
Common things that both DSLR can do…
- Canon 90D & 70D have Face Detection Focus that locks on the face and tracks the subject while they are moving. It’s very helpful while you are making vlogs or any other kind of Videos.
- Both DSLR has 1040k dots higher resolution screen that can display same detailed visual information on the display.
- Canon 90D & 70D has a Live view() option, This option allows you to shoot while viewing a real-time image.
- Both contains a microphone port where you can attach a microphone & shoot video with crystal clear sound quality.
- Both has a touch screen display that helps to focus or zoom on any specific object by tapping on the screen.
- AE Bracketing is available in Canon 90D & 70D which helps to shoot equally in tough lighting conditions or shadow areas.
- If you want to do a live streaming or live concert you can do it with both DSLRS, just connect the camera to wifi and it’s ready to go.
- The shutter speed of both DSLR is 1/8000 which helps to capture super-fast moving objects without getting blurred Like racing cars or bikes.
- Both has an environment-sealed feature that lets you capture photos in harsh weather.
If you are okay with the above-explained feature then you can get any one of these, but if you are looking for advanced features and the best one Between Canon 90D & 70D you must pick the Canon 90D.
|Specification||Canon EOS 90D||Canon EOS 70D|
|AF Multi Area||Yes||Yes|
|AF Live View||Yes||Yes|
|AF Face Detection||Yes||Yes|
|AF Contrast Detection||Yes||Yes|
|AF Phase Detection||Yes||Yes|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF/EF-S||Canon EF/EF-S|
|Number of Available Lenses||333||333|
|Screen Type||Fully Articulated||Fully Articulated|
|Screen Resolution||1,040k dots||1,040k dots|
|Viewfinder||Optical (pentaprism)||Optical (pentaprism)|
|Max Mechanical Shutter||1/8000s||1/8000s|
|Manual Exposure Mode||Yes||Yes|
|Custom White Balance||Yes||Yes|
|Flash Range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)||12.00 m|
|Max Flash Sync||1/250s||1/250s|
|Center Weighted Metering||Yes||Yes|
Frequently asked questions
1.Does Canon 90D shoot 4K video?
90D can shoot video up to 4K at 30fps using the full width camera’s sensor. It also can shoot 4K time-lapse, with 3 different pre-sets.
2.Is the EOS 90D full-frame?