Canon EOS M50 and EOS 80D both cameras are built with amazing features. But, we recommend the Canon EOS M50 camera as this camera has upgraded features and faster performance.
Why We Recommend Canon EOS M50?
- Canon EOS M50 has a DIGIC 8 processor, which improves the Autofocus and video recording performances, and the Auto lighting optimizer provides you impressive lifelike images. But, Canon EOS 80D has the previous DIGIC6 image processor, which doesn’t have these features.
- The 5-axis image Stabilization feature in M50 helps you capture sharper images than EOS 80D as this camera doesn’t have image stabilization, and you need to use extra lenses for this feature.
- This camera has 143 autofocus points, whereas the EOS 80D has only 45. So, with an M50 camera, you will have a better opportunity to focus on any particular object than EOS 80D.
- Canon EOS M50’s Maximum ISO range is 51200, and EOS 80D’s ISO range is 25600. This is because, with an M50 camera, you can capture more detailed and sharper images than the other one.
- 10 frames per second rate in M50 ensures the perfect capture of any fast-moving objects. But, EOS 80D’s continuous shooting speed is only 7 frames per second.
- This device helps you record 4K UHD resolution videos with a cinematic look, but with 80D, you can record only Full HD resolution videos.
- M50’s weight is 387 grams, whereas EOS 80D weighs 730 grams. So, you can more comfortably hold an M50 than the 80D camera.
You can see that; Canon EOS M50 has an upgraded image processor, in-body image stabilization, higher ISO range, light-weight, and most importantly, 4K resolution video recording capacity. Hence, we strongly recommend you get this camera. Otherwise, you can choose Canon EOS 80D.
Similar features of Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS 80D camera:
- Canon EOS 80D and EOS M50 cameras have CMOS sensors to produce high-resolution images and videos.
- Both have dust deletion features as you can automatically or manually clean the camera.
- A silent shooting feature is available in these cameras so that you can shoot or record without any sounds.
- They have Wi-Fi connectivity, and you can directly transfer your files plus print them on PictBridge- Compatible Printers.
- 3.0 inches Vari-angle-adjustable LCD screen helps you to create vlogs and shoot images at any angle.
- They have a limited warranty for one year.
|Specifications||Canon EOS 80D||Canon EOS M50|
|Editor’s ratings||4.7 out of 5||4.9 out of 5|
|Available Colors||Black||White and Black|
|Weight( Including battery and memory Card)||730 grams||387 grams|
|Dimension||139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5mm||116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7mm|
|Image sensor||CMOS sensor||CMOS sensor|
|Number of Effective Pixels||24.2 Megapixels||24.1 Megapixels|
|Total Pixels||25.8 Megapixels||25.8 Megapixels|
|Dust deletion feature||Supported||Supported|
|Image Format||JPEG, RAW and CR3||JPEG, RAW and CR3|
|Image Processor||DIGIC6||DIGIC 8|
|Image Stabilization||No||5-Axis IS|
|White Balance Settings||Provided||Provided|
|Auto Focus||TTL secondary image-forming AF-dedicated CMOS sensor||Dual Pixel CMOS AF|
|ISO range||100 – 12800||100-6400|
|Maximum ISO Range||25600||51200|
|Continuous Shooting speed||7 frames per second||10 Frames per second|
|Video shooting||Full HD and HD||4K UHD, Full HD and HD|
|LCD monitor type||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor||TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor|
|Screen Size||3.0 inches||3.0 inches|
|Effective Pixels of Screen||1.04 Million dots||1.04 Million dots|
|Direct printing||PictBridge- Compatible Printers||PictBridge- Compatible Printers|
|USB interphase||Micro USB||Micro USB|
|Power Source||LP-E6N ( Rechargeable Battery)||LP-E12 ( Rechargeable Battery)|
|Number of Still Images||960 Shots||235 Shots|
|Working temperature Range||32 to 113°F||32 to 104°F|
|Warranty Period||One year (Limited )||One Year ( Limited)|
Similarities and differences of Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS 80D
Image Sensor and Continuous shooting speed rate:
Canon EOS M50 has 24.1 Megapixels, and EOS 80D has 24.2 Megapixels CMOS (APS-C) image sensor. So, they are both capable of capturing high-quality images with incredible details. Besides, EOS M50’s continuous shooting speed is ten fps, and EOS 80D’s shooting speed is 7fps. Hence, with M50, you can have the perfect shot of fast-moving objects.
Image processor and AF Points:
Canon M50 has a DIGIC 8 processor with an auto lighting optimizer. Therefore, the camera can produce perfect lighting smooth shots with more significant details when you capture images. Besides, this camera has 143 autofocus points, which ensure accurate focus every time. On the other hand, the EOS 80D DIGIC 6 image processor and its autofocus point are only 43. Therefore, Canon M50 provides faster performance and more accuracy than the other one.
The AUTO ISO range of Canon EOS 80D is 100-12800, and you can expand this range to 25600. Again, Canon EOS M50’s capacity is 100-6400, but you can manually increase this range to 51200. Here, with a better ISO range, the M50 is going to provide you with a better photographic experience in low light than the EOS 80D.
They have a TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor with 1.04 million dots. With this resolution, you will have a fantastic preview of your captured images and videos. Besides, The screen size is 3.0 inches, and the Vari-angle feature helps you to capture images at any angle.
Weight and Size:
When you insert a battery and memory card, Canon EOS M50 weighs 387 grams, and EOS 80D weighs 730 grams. Besides, M50 comes with 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7mm dimension and 80D’s size is 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5mm. Therefore, you can see that the M50 has lightweight and a smaller dimension than 80D, making this device more portable and handy. The Black and white color variants are available with M50, but 80D has only a black color variant.
Video recording and IS:
With an M50 camera, you can record 4K UHD videos at 24fps and Full HD videos at 120fps. On the other hand, EOS 80D doesn’t have 4K resolution recording compatibility, and you can record Full HD videos at 60 fps. So, if you are looking for recording Cinematic-looking 4K UHD videos, then M50 is a perfect choice. Besides, this camera has a built-in image stabilization feature which isn’t available in EOS 80D.
Power Source and warranty policy:
Canon M50 has LP-E12, and 80D has an LP-E6N rechargeable battery. But, EOS 80D has a stronger battery than the M50, as with this device, you can capture up to 960 shots, whereas with M50, the Image number is only 235 shots. In addition, both cameras are provided with a one-year limited warranty, and if you find any structural defects, the company will replace or repair the device.
As you can see, Canon EOS M50 has a better and upgraded feature than the Canon EOS 80D. Therefore, we recommend you go for this M50 camera. Otherwise, you can choose the 80D, but you have to compromise the unique features of the Canon EOS M50. So now, the decision is yours!
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon EOS M50 and Canon EOS 80D
|What is the Expanded ISO range of Canon EOS 80D? |
The ISO range of this camera is 25600, but M50’s ISO range can be expanded to 51200.
Can I record 4K resolution videos with EOS 80D?
No, you can record maximum Full HD resolution videos with this device, and for 4K resolution videos, you have to choose the Canon EOS M50 camera.
Does EOS M50 have image stabilization?
Yes, this camera has 5-Axis Image stabilization which will help you capture sharper photos by reducing blurriness.
What is the Image processor of the Canon EOS M50 camera?
Canon has an upgraded M50 with a powerful DIGIC 8 processor that ensures fast performance and produces high-quality videos and Images plus, this processor comes with an Auto Light optimizer.
Can I capture images silently with EOS M50?
Yes, this camera has a silent operation feature.
You can also read some other camera comparisons below:
- Canon 6D vs 5D Mark II
- Canon M100 vs M50
- Canon R6 vs R
- Canon G7X Mark II vs Mark III
- Canon SL3 vs M50
- Sony a7RIII vs a7RIV
I have been working in the camera industry for the last 6 years, and I am dedicated to helping my readers choose the best DSLR Camera, Mirrorless camera, security camera, or drone. My greatest reward is utilizing that knowledge to help people get the best for their needs under their budget.
Follow or ask me anything about Camera on social media: