Canon 80 was released in Feb-2016 & 90D was released in Aug- 2019. Both Cameras are Amazing with some similarities & differences, but if you are looking for the best one with better photo & video quality, I would recommend the Canon 90D rather than 80D.
Why Do I Recommend Canon 90D?
- Canon 90D has 33 megapixels APS-C Camera sensor, whereas 80D has 24 megapixels APS-C sensor. A better megapixel camera helps to capture images and videos in higher Resolution with more details.
- Canon 90D is built with the latest DIGIC 8 image processor, and 80d is built with DIGIC 6 processor. DIGIC 8 processor is built to provide better autofocus, faster Image processing, better resolution, and it consumes less power to run for extra time.
- The Maximum sensor resolution of 90D is (6960 x 4640) whereas 80D is 6000 x 4000, which means 90D can provide you with better-resolution Images and videos with more Details.
- The light sensitivity of the Canon 90D is 100-25600 ISO & expandable to 51000 ISO, but the 80D is 100-16000 ISO and expandable to 25600 ISO. You will get 2 times better low-light photography with Canon 90D than 80D.
- Its continuous shooting speed is 11 fps, Which means it can take up to 11 pictures in a second, whereas Canon 80D can take up to 7. To do that, you just need to press & hold the shutter button. This feature gives you more options to select the best shoot from 11 of them.
- The 90D has a digital Image Stabilizer, which helps to reduce image blurring to get a perfect shoot, but Canon 80D Doesn’t have any image Stabilizer.
- The battery power of the Canon 90D is super. It can shoot 1300 pictures on a single charge, whereas Canon 80D can shoot only 960.
- Canon 90D can record high-resolution 4k video, while 80D can shoot only Full HD video. With 90D you can record beautiful 3840×2160 realistic video with every single detail.
- It has a focus bracketing option, which allows you to take several images with different points of focus. 80D doesn’t allow you to do that.
Maybe the Canon 80D price can make you comfortable because it’s little bit cheaper than the 90D. But you have to compromise all the above-mentioned features. Now the decision is yours. I hope it was helpful to make the right decision.
Side By Side Comparison
|Specifications||Canon EOS 90D||Canon EOS 80D|
|Editor’s Rating||4.7 Out of 5||4.5 Out of 5|
|Image Processor||DIGIC 8||DIGIC 6|
|Dimensions||22.3 x 14.9 mm||22.5 x 15 mm|
|Sensor Megapixels||33 megapixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor Max Resolution||6960 x 4640||6000 x 4000|
|Shutter Life Expectancy||200000 cycle||100000 cycle|
|Max Native Light sensitivity||100-25,600 ISO||100-16,000 ISO|
|Max Boosted Light Sensitivity||100-51200 ISO||100-25600 ISO|
|Max Video Resolution||3840 x 2160||1920 x 1080|
|Continuous Shooting||11.0 fps||7.0 fps|
|Battery Life||1300 shots||960 shots|
|Built-in Image Stabilization||Digital only||No|
|Max Electronic Shutter||1/16000s||n/a|
|Price||Check 90D Price||Check 80D Price|
Common Things That Both DSLRs Can Do.
- Canon 80D & 90D have Face Detection Focus that locks on the face and tracks the subject while they are moving. It’s very helpful while you are making vlogs or any other kind of Videos.
- Both DSLRs have 1040k dots higher resolution screens that can display the same detailed visual information on the display.
- Canon 80D & 90D has a Live view() option, This option allows you to shoot while viewing a real-time image.
- Both contain a microphone port where you can attach a microphone & shoot video with crystal clear sound quality.
- They have 45 focus points, which helps to focus on 45 objects at the same time.
- Both have a touchscreen display that helps to focus or zoom on any specific object by tapping on the screen.
- AE Bracketing is available in Canon 80D & 90D, which helps to shoot equally in tough lighting conditions or shadow areas.
- If you want to do a live streaming or live concert, you can do it with both DSLRs; just connect the camera to wifi, and it’s ready to go.
- The 80D & 90D have a timelapse recording feature for creative shooting.
- Canon 80 & 90D can record ( 1920 x 1080) Video at 60 FPS, which helps to record fast-moving objects without getting blurred.
- The shutter speed of both DSLRs is 1/8000, which helps to capture super-fast moving objects without getting blurred, Like racing cars or bikes.
- Both have an environment-sealed feature that lets you capture photos in harsh weather.
If you are okay with the above-explained feature, then you can get any one of these, but if you are looking for advanced features and the best one Between Canon 80D & 90D, you must pick the Canon 90D.
|Specifications||Canon EOS 90D||Canon EOS 80D|
|AF Multi Area||Yes||Yes|
|AF Live View||Yes||Yes|
|AF Face Detection||Yes||Yes|
|AF Contrast Detection||Yes||Yes|
|AF Phase Detection||Yes||Yes|
|Number of Focus Points||45||45|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF/EF-S||Canon EF/EF-S|
|Number of Available Lenses||333||333|
|Type||Fully Articulated||Fully Articulated|
|Resolution||1,040k dots||1,040k dots|
|Viewfinder||Optical (pentaprism)||Optical (pentaprism)|
|Max Mechanical Shutter||1/8000s||1/8000s|
|Manual Exposure Mode||Yes||Yes|
|Custom White Balance||Yes||Yes|
|Flash Range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)||12.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|Max Flash Sync||1/250s||1/250s|
|Center Weighted Metering||Yes||Yes|
|Video Formats||MPEG-4, H.264||MPEG-4, H.264|
|Dimensions||141 x 105 x 77mm||139 x 105 x 79mm|
|Price||Check 90D Price||Check 80D price|
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon 80D and 90D
How many card slots are in Canon 90D?
Canon EOS 90D has only one slot, but this is not an issue since you can change the card when it is full.
Can I transfer the photo to the iPad from EOS 80D?
Yes, the device is integrated with the Canon Connect app, which lets you effortlessly share images on the iPad.
Does EOS 80D have an interchangeable lens?
Yes, it has an interchangeable lens.
Are they weather-sealed devices?
Yes, Canon 80D and 90D have an environment-sealed feature.